What's new

reviews of wireless distributed music systems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecave

Occasional Visitor
Some testing of the wireless networking used by the "major" distributed music systems would be very useful. Although the products are extensively reviewed on sites like CNET, the reviews are generally silent on, for example, the extent to which the installation will degrade the performance of existing wireless networks and, if so, if it is only while they are in use or all the time.

Logitech recently released a new version of its squeezebox (the duet), and I've seen reports that Sonos is also about to come out with a new system; so this might be a good time to do some reviews.

I have relied on your site for years and look forward to these forums. Thanks for all your hard work.

I agree that we haven't done the Duet and need to get to it. The Sonos system has been done a few times:
The ZonePlayer 80: A lower-priced option for Sonos fans
Music Meets Wireless Mesh Network: The Sonos Digital Music System

In general, the bandwidth requirements of music systems is pretty low and you're unlikely to even notice them unless you are running a lot of streams.

Jim Buzbee looked at the interference issue in his review of the Sonos ZonePlayer 80
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/26428/80/1/5/

I think the earlier Logitech Wireless DJ actually uses Bluetooth, which can cause interference (and be interfered with by) 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n).

interference

That's interesting. I don't own Sonos, but am considering buying. The company's web site certainly suggests a significant possibility of interference, and there are a lot of complaints about this issue in the sonos forums.

I'm extremely happy with my Logitech/Slim Devices Squeezeboxes. I have four of them at present, and plan on buying two more. Each lives a room with a pair of small(ish) powered monitors. They can play in sync, or have individual streams.

I think that my setup is fairly affordable compared to built-in systems. Even using pro audio powered monitors (Alesis, M-Audio, Behringer, Mackie) they're less than typical built-in speakers (Sonance, etc) separate multi-channel amps & control systems.

Michael

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!