What's new

Reviving RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you using OpenVPN as a server or services like NordVPN?
What is your ISP's upload speed?

A cheap solution (about $100) is: RT-AX56 v.1 or RT-AX58U v.1/RT-AX3000 v.1) - VPN to ~100 Mbps.
Better but more expensive is RT-AX86S or possibly RT-AX68U - VPN to ~250 Mbps.

While not all Asus models are automatically recommended, all other manufacturer's products are automatically not (except for certain Voxel-supported Netgear models).

I would not be looking at any other alternative than an RMerlin powered Asus model. There is simply no comparison, imo.

Are you using OpenVPN as a server or services like NordVPN?
What is your ISP's upload speed?

A cheap solution (about $100) is: RT-AX56 v.1 or RT-AX58U v.1/RT-AX3000 v.1) - VPN to ~100 Mbps.
Better but more expensive is RT-AX86S or possibly RT-AX68U - VPN to ~250 Mbps.
Roughly 265 down and 25 up
Just to connect in to my home network to manage internal devices as when I had my router internet management ports open it attracted some unwanted interest so trying to secure the network a bit. To do things like transfer data on the Synology, remotely log into my laptop or access my Raspberry Pis etc

Roughly 265 down and 25 up
Just to connect in to my home network to manage internal devices
In this situation, RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U/RT-AX3000 will fully meet your needs - they support OpenVPN at faster speeds than your internet connection allows (25 Mbps up).
Personally, I would choose older hardware versions (v.1) because they have Merlin support.

Appreciate all the recommendations and advice. I managed to get a good deal on an RT-AX86U as they seemed to be the model favoured by all (and good 2nd hand resale value and demand as well if I didn't like it)
All seemed good and well, my old devices are all working with it but then I found one that surprisingly wasn't...
My MSI GE60, with an Intel Wireless AC 7260...
All good and well, there was a note to say to upgrade to v20 of the software. So I go to do this and another problem... need Windows 10 and I'm (yes I know...) still running through personal preference, Windows 7.
I did think this may be an opportunity as it's a gaming laptop (albeit a bit out of date now) to up the wireless card in it?

Impressive performance too, on speed test on my mobile I got 275 down and 26 up both upstairs and downstairs (highest speed I can get on my ISP package, actually more as it should be 250)

Last edited:
I swapped out my laptop's AC7265 for this AX210 earlier this year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08NSSJNV1/?tag=smallncom-21

EDIT: Looking on the internet it looks like that laptop might have a whitelist BIOS that doesn't allow unofficial WiFi cards. It also looks like the form factor of the card is different than the one in my laptop (HMW/HMC/Mini PCIe vs. NGW/NGFF/M.2). So check compatibility before purchasing anything.

Last edited:
Thanks Colin, it didn't come with the 7260, I swapped the original wifi adapter for it. I can't remember what the original one was.

I've just found the following:
References a Windows 7 driver for 7260 but link says for 7265, I'm now hunting for version 18.33.13.4 or newer as per the article which would seem to be:

04/29/2018 18.33.13.4
09/03/2018 18.33.14.3
04/29/2019 18.33.17.1

So one of those cases of likely finding it from a different manufacturer for one of their devices as the MSI website doesn't supply drivers for that adapter for my laptop.

HW ID:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_44708086&REV_73

Trying the one from here - https://www.drvhub.net/devices/network/intel/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260

Job done, it worked :) Wifi networks on new router all now showing and connected to the 5Ghz now, panic over... until I get a nice BSOD probably :rolleyes:

While not all Asus models are automatically recommended, all other manufacturer's products are automatically not

This gets complicated - at the end of the day, this is an open forum...

Asus is just one vendor - and one that seems to dominate the discussions here...

Just saying - Asus is getting a free-ride and not covering costs to keep the forums alive

I'm not talking for the forum. I'm giving my opinion from the experience, research and previous routers I had. Nothing compares to Asus, overall. Particularly with RMerlin firmware running on it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!