What's new

ROG GT-AC5300 CPU throttling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wickedny5

Occasional Visitor
Hey all! Something I've noticed with the last three firmwares is that only one CPU is being taxed when the router is under load. When I first got the router I would see two CPU's being taxed under load reaching to about 50% usage for two cores, now only one core goes to 50%. I know theres a GT-AC5300 thread already but did not want this to get buried in and lost as this can be a serous issue. For us using this router we paid the premium to get a Quad Core router and reap the benefits of its processor, if we are not getting even half of its full potential then its a problem. We paid for a GT but getting the performance of RT. As you can see in the screenshot the router is under load and will only go up to 51% on one core, most i've seen it go up to is 60% for one core and the rest are at a steady 0% or 1%. I was hoping everyone else can test this out to see if they are experiencing this. I'm currently on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384.32738, but have also experienced this on the last three firmwares.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.18.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.18.40 AM.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 456
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.50.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.50.13 AM.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 576
It depends on what you are running. Many processes can only use one single core, as they are not multi-threaded. This is just normal software behavior, the same thing happens with a regular PC as well.

Having multiple core will only help with multithreaded applications, and when running multiple processes at the same time, where each can run on a different core. For example, having one OpeNVPN client running at the same time as a file transfer from a USB disk.

It depends on what you are running. Many processes can only use one single core, as they are not multi-threaded. This is just normal software behavior, the same thing happens with a regular PC as well.

Having multiple core will only help with multithreaded applications, and when running multiple processes at the same time, where each can run on a different core. For example, having one OpeNVPN client running at the same time as a file transfer from a USB disk.

Hey RMerlin, thanks for the reply. I should have added that I don't have any clients (VPN) running on this router, I have QOS off, Game Boost off.. I know theres plenty of features on this router like the gamer private network (WTFast) , Alexa & IFTTT, AiCloud 2.0, etc.. Im not using any of those features or have them turned off. With these same settings I have now (everything off or just not using them) I use to get 2 cores at 50% or so when downloading files at 600 Mbps (I have gigabit connection), now its just one core handling the downloading and uploading while the other 3 cores are at steady 0%.

Is it affecting your download speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey RMerlin, thanks for the reply. I should have added that I don't have any clients (VPN) running on this router, I have QOS off, Game Boost off.. I know theres plenty of features on this router like the gamer private network (WTFast) , Alexa & IFTTT, AiCloud 2.0, etc.. Im not using any of those features or have them turned off. With these same settings I have now (everything off or just not using them) I use to get 2 cores at 50% or so when downloading files at 600 Mbps (I have gigabit connection), now its just one core handling the downloading and uploading while the other 3 cores are at steady 0%.

Sounds normal to me. You probably get less CPU usage because you are now using hardware acceleration, and back then you weren't.

FWIW on my 86U when using non-wifi devices I see core 1 with cpu usage and core 2 is idle. When using wifi I see usage on both cores. My guess is that core 1 is being used for NAT and core 2 is handling wifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!