What's new

Route VPN clients out over a VPN tunnel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nihon

Regular Contributor
Hi
I have setup my Lan to 192.168.1.1/24
Router is on 192.168.1.1.
I have enabled an OpenVPN server that register clients to subnet 10.42.42.1/24.

I have also enabled an openVPN client outgoing connection out from my router (tun mode) and setup a policy route
192.168.1.1/24 0.0.0.0 VPN
192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 WAN

To be able to connect over VPN to my router I need to keep the router IP routed over WAN using policy routing (above). Now from that follows that any clients connecting to the router VPN server (retrieving IP 10.42.42.x) are also routed out over WAN. Adding
10.42.42.1/24 0.0.0.0 VPN
does not help.

Is it possible to somehow make sure clients connecting to my network (10.42.42.x) can also benefit of getting their IPs hidden through the outgoing VPN tunnel?

Last edited:
Anyone?
Could one setup some route or maybe ssh tunnel back somehow to solve this. Of course ssh tunnel through a box on the LAN that is routed out over the VPN likely works but with such an open and good router I hope it should be doable directly in the router....

I'm having trouble using the OpenVPN routing rules as well. Can anyone give a brief use case scenario, or an example of how to force an IP/subnet to utilize the OpenVPN connection for internet access?

I am also interested in this exact scenario.

How to route OpenVPN Server Clients (connecting to Asus) to go out over the OpenVPN Client (connecting to VPN service)

I have been struggling with this same issue for some time. Policy based routing does not appear to route the incoming VPN traffic through the configured VPN client on the routing.