Router advice needed for ethernet gaming

Sruxz

New Around Here
Hi all,

I recently bought ASUS TUF Gaming AX5400 router on my ISP modem. It was a black friday deal for 130$ in my country (Poland). Being on this forum and reading some threads, I came to conclusion that the modems which support other firmwares are better, rather than firmware locked `rgb gaming` marketed products which I failed in.
I have 10 more days to return it, I play competitive FPS games and my wife likes to play WOW. We mostly use ethernet, so I do not mind wifi 6 or 5. Would you say it would be an upgrade to get ASUS RT-AC86U for 25$ less or AX58U maybe? If you guys have any other suggestions around my budget, I am happy to hear. Thanks in advance.

ISP speeds: 1000mbps Download, 40mbps Upload

Last edited:

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Welcome to the forums @Sruxz.

The RT-AC86U will definitely be an upgrade for both bands' range, and it makes a better router with a more powerful CPU.

The RT-AX58U will be an upgrade for the fact it can run RMerlin firmware, but the 2.5GHz and 5GHz radios are both effectively 2x2:2, and the CPU is equally inferior.

With everything you've mentioned above, the RT-AC86U is the best choice if you can find it for a better cost brand new (do not accept a 2018/19 model).

I'll also mention that the RT-AX68U is superior to all the options above, overall.

Sruxz

New Around Here
Welcome to the forums @Sruxz.

The RT-AC86U will definitely be an upgrade for both bands' range, and it makes a better router with a more powerful CPU.

The RT-AX58U will be an upgrade for the fact it can run RMerlin firmware, but the 2.5GHz and 5GHz radios are both effectively 2x2:2, and the CPU is equally inferior.

With everything you've mentioned above, the RT-AC86U is the best choice if you can find it for a better cost brand new (do not accept a 2018/19 model).

I'll also mention that the RT-AX68U is superior to all the options above, overall.
AX68U looks better overall, I'll probably get it. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Anyone else get a warm fuzzy feeling everytime they read AX86U ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!