What's new

Router advice needed for ethernet gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sruxz

New Around Here
Hi all,

I recently bought ASUS TUF Gaming AX5400 router on my ISP modem. It was a black friday deal for 130$ in my country (Poland). Being on this forum and reading some threads, I came to conclusion that the modems which support other firmwares are better, rather than firmware locked `rgb gaming` marketed products which I failed in.
I have 10 more days to return it, I play competitive FPS games and my wife likes to play WOW. We mostly use ethernet, so I do not mind wifi 6 or 5. Would you say it would be an upgrade to get ASUS RT-AC86U for 25$ less or AX58U maybe? If you guys have any other suggestions around my budget, I am happy to hear. Thanks in advance.

ISP speeds: 1000mbps Download, 40mbps Upload

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Sruxz.

The RT-AC86U will definitely be an upgrade for both bands' range, and it makes a better router with a more powerful CPU.

The RT-AX58U will be an upgrade for the fact it can run RMerlin firmware, but the 2.5GHz and 5GHz radios are both effectively 2x2:2, and the CPU is equally inferior.

With everything you've mentioned above, the RT-AC86U is the best choice if you can find it for a better cost brand new (do not accept a 2018/19 model).

I'll also mention that the RT-AX68U is superior to all the options above, overall.

Welcome to the forums @Sruxz.

The RT-AC86U will definitely be an upgrade for both bands' range, and it makes a better router with a more powerful CPU.

The RT-AX58U will be an upgrade for the fact it can run RMerlin firmware, but the 2.5GHz and 5GHz radios are both effectively 2x2:2, and the CPU is equally inferior.

With everything you've mentioned above, the RT-AC86U is the best choice if you can find it for a better cost brand new (do not accept a 2018/19 model).

I'll also mention that the RT-AX68U is superior to all the options above, overall.
AX68U looks better overall, I'll probably get it. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Anyone else get a warm fuzzy feeling everytime they read AX86U ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!