What's new

Router behind router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helio58

Regular Contributor
Two lans talking both ways.

Lan A - Asus AC68 with merlin lan 192.168.1.1 connect to wan
In settings lan route - I add 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.10 metric 2 Lan

LanB - Asus AC86 with merlin lan 192.168.2.1 connect to lan port 4 fast ip 192.168.1.10
Firewall off

LanB I can connect to all computers on LanA.
LanB computer 192.168.2.55

I can't access computer 192.168.2.55 from Lan A any idea what I m missing?

Thanks

Last edited:
With your current setup everything on LanB is being NATed. So any unsolicited incoming traffic will need to have a port forwarding rule. However, as this is an internal network I suggest that you just turn off NAT on router B. Then it should work without the need for port forwarding.

Thanks Colin, I turn off Nat on router B . Then I can't access to the internet from network B .
Still cannot connect from A to B.

I can't think why you would lose internet connectivity when you turn off NAT on router B.

Maybe there's something I'm not seeing. Can you draw a diagram of your network. Do you have anything non-default on router B, like VPN's, guest networks, DNSFilter, DHCP, etc.?

Plug the cable from router A lan port into router B lan port. Don't use the Wan port on router B for the connection.

Plug the cable from router A lan port into router B lan port. Don't use the Wan port on router B for the connection.
That's a bad idea unless he reconfigures router B as an access point (in which case he can still use its WAN port because it becomes another LAN port).

I do this all the time
Only difference is that I want my router to block everything instead using it as a switch...

Anyway
On router A you use dmz to fixed ip on router B

Router B need to be configured with 2 routing settings
First is the ip range of router A. Else he won’t find it
Second for range B. Same reason

Now if you want router A to access subnet of router B you do the same on router A

I hope you manual configure the ip addresses instead using dhcp ?
As 2 dhcp servers gives conflicts if you broadcast on both sub nets ( what is needed to access both networks )

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Router B need to be configured with 2 routing settings
First is the ip range of router A. Else he won’t find it
Second for range B. Same reason
This is not necessary as the default route on Router B is all that is needed.

I hope you manual configure the ip addresses instead using dhcp ?
As 2 dhcp servers gives conflicts if you broadcast on both sub nets ( what is needed to access both networks )
Again, this is not needed because DHCP is broadcast traffic and doesn't route across subnets.

I can't think why you would lose internet connectivity when you turn off NAT on router B.

Maybe there's something I'm not seeing. Can you draw a diagram of your network. Do you have anything non-default on router B, like VPN's, guest networks, DNSFilter, DHCP, etc.?

Here is the setup
ISP---->Router A---RT-AC68U DHCP on 192.168.1.1 ----cabel from Lan to Router B-- RT-AC86U-Wan Port
Router B gets fast ip from router A 192.168.1.10---- Router B dhcp on 192.168.2.1
Turning Nat off no internet
No vpn , no guest networks
DNSFilter off
DHCP on

Router B gets fast ip
Sorry, I think there's a translation problem. I don't understand what you are saying here.

When NAT is off can you ping or connect to devices on 192.168.1.x from a device on 192.168.2.x?

What are the LAN subnet masks for both routers, 255.255.255.0?

Attachments

• routing.jpg
    routing.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 454
When NAT is off can you ping or connect to devices on 192.168.1.x from a device on 192.168.2.x?

No I can't .

Router B gets fast ip
In network charts its the ip I see it says wan port ip

Sorry for the bad English

No I can't .

Router B gets fast ip
In network charts its the ip I see it says wan port ip

Sorry for the bad English
Is it “fast” as in “static” or “unchanging” or “fixed”?