What's new

Router connecting to Astrill.com (VPN service)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bozdw

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm new here. Thanks for having me.

Pihole shows the router requested the IP address of Astrill.com. Why is that?
After searching I learned Astrill is a VPN service and made a VPN applet at some point but is not supposed to be part of Asuswrt-Merlin.
I didn't see Astrill mentionned anywhere in the settings or what I've read of the documentation either.

Router model?
Firmware version?

There's no reason for the router to be querying astrill.com. What was the exact domain name or IP address you saw?

Also, depending on how you have configured your router to work with Pihole it's possible that the request actually originated from a client on your LAN.

Router model?
RT-AC68U
Firmware version?
386.7_2
What was the exact domain name or IP address you saw?

Also, depending on how you have configured your router to work with Pihole it's possible that the request actually originated from a client on your LAN.

My Pihole is configured to show which client made the request. It was indeed the router asking for the IP address of "astrill.com".

Last edited:
RT-AC68U

386.7_2

My Pihole is configured to show which client made the request. It was indeed the router asking for the IP address of "astrill.com".
I can't think how that could be possible unless Astrill had been installed at sometime in the past.

It's a fresh install.
Are you sure astrill.com doesn't appear in the source code somewhere?
I did a search of the source and didn't get any hits on astrill. But the online search is unreliable, so I'll download it and perform a proper search.