What's new

Router does not reply ARP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jorgensen

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have a problem with my NAS suddenly seems to drop off the local network, it typically happens when I copy files to the NAS (SMB, FTP) from a Win10 PC. To debug the issue, I made a Wireshark capture during the last connection issue. From the capture I see that the NAS keeps sending "Who has 192.168.87.1 ? Tell 192.168.87.120". My Asus RT AC68U Merlin 384.7_2 (192.168.87.1) never responds to this ARP and the NAS (192.168.87.120) keeps sending this ARP again and again. After several minutes the issue resolves itself (not sure if I have captured this). The capture also reveals that the Win10 PC sends "Who has 192.168.87.120 ? Tell 192.168.87.243" when I attempt to start a FTP transfer to the NAS.
The NAS IP address is manually assigned in the Asus router. Win10 PC get the IP address from DHCP.

This is the first time I have used Wireshark, is it possible to export the capture as a text file and copy snippets to this forum if necessary for debugging? And I am by no means an network expert, thus this might not be the root cause of my problem. So have you any ideas how to debug any further?

Overview of my network:
Asus RT AC68U <---> Asus RT AC66U (Wireless bridge mode) <--- Cable ---> NAS
Win10 PC connects via WiFi
IP address of the Asus RT AC66U is 192.168.87.119.

After writing the above, I checked the Router log, and it contained an error, not sure if it is related though:
[tdts_shell_ioctl_sig_op_load:95] tdts_core_rule_parsing_trf_load() fail!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!