What's new

Router dropping offline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChuckTin

Occasional Visitor
I installed a LinkSys AC4000 in our home, and lately for some reason it's been offline in the early AM.
I'm an early riser, 5-ish and I've noticed several times that this router is off line at random intervals when I got up.
Yesterday I thought the Cable Modem was at fault, reset that, and called the ISP to complain. They said the Modem showed no gaps in it's up time since it had been install (last summer) except when I reset it and suggested our router was at fault.
This morning same thing - when I got up my cell phone (had been off at night) reported that it could find both router signals, 2.4 & 5 ghz, but there was no internet connection. This time power cycling the router restored the Internet.

Any suggestions on what's going on?
Could this unit be flakey?
Are they known for cycling off on their own?
Surely I haven't stumbled on a "feature" that I hadn't known about.

could be a bad wall wart or glitchy power or a flaky unit.
Did this start from the beginning or just recently developed ?
i have all of my network gear on a sine wave UPS to ride out power issues. always recommended.

Check the logs in the router for "events". Is it spontaneously rebooting or is something hanging ?

If it is a new unit, can you take it back and exchange ?

Thanks.
Router purchased/installed last July.
I'll check event log.
If was power event(s) then it's happening so quick and short it's not setting off whole house generator.
I've got small UPS somewhere I can use.