What's new

Router for 1GB/s "real" WAN Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

masinski

Occasional Visitor
Ive upgraded my internet plan for 1Gb/s at my local provider, but my good old DLink DIR-842 seems to be to slow to make 550 mbps+ speeds. So im looking for something good and "of course" not expensive. Anything on ~100-150$ price range with ~900 mbps download speeds? It must be good on WAN and have WiFi (2,6 and 5 Ghz) and even 1 LAN gigabit port. If openwrt ddwrt possible i dont mind but i know its impossible

PS. Yes. Ive checked my internet connection with few different network devices - laptop, 2x desktop PC with speedtest from ookla on sdd shows between 850-935 mbps so its that slow black box fault :)

The RT-AC66U_B1, the RT-AX58U, the RT-AC86U are all candidates for 'just' 1Gbps WAN speeds. Are any of those in your price range in your area (and in stock)?

For routing, the order they appear in this post is from 'good' to 'best'.

Ive got few deals for about ~100$ for that RT-AC66U-B1. It is better than RT-AX55?
Any LAN - WAN <-> WAN - LAN tests to make sure its working ~940 both ways?

I previously used a Asus RT-AC86U, and that had no trouble with symmetric 1 Gbps WAN<->LAN
It did eventually die after about 3 years - not exactly sure how or why, but it the JFFS/NVRAM got corrupted, and it started throwing errors. I could re-flash, and it would be fine for about 2 days, then all the problems started again. I ended up switching to a Ubiquiti ER-4 - I'm not keen on the configuration aspect, but It does handle FIOS/FTH 1 Gbps Symmetric connection -- after some configuration work - mostly just enable hwoffload.

Since this was not moved then you really should consider a real wired only router not an all-in-one device you will be much better off. No all-in-one can match a small business network of separate networking components. I would recommend Cisco.

I have had great success with my RV340. I see 935-940 Mbps downloads off of my 1Gb service for wired connections. This is also with the optional security settings (Antivirus and IPS) enabled. It is an additional yearly license and many do not bother with it but my point is the Router is rock solid and performs very well to my needs.

I thought we didn't recommend the AX58U due to its horrible drop in throughput just a few feet from the router, compared to other routers.

Granted I have that very same router, and it works... fine. I too have a 1Gbps fiber connection on WAN, but am nowhere near those speeds on my Macbook Pro 2018 (3x3) connected to the AX58U(2x2) on 5Ghz WiFi6. I'm currently sitting 3m away from it and am getting 467mbps down and 576mbps up. Granted it sits behind the television, so that definitely affects it, but still. Even when standing right next to it with no obstacles between my mac and the AX58U, it barely scrapes past 500mbps down. Latest merlin and all installed.

My point is, don't expect wireless close to gigabit speeds with the AX58U.

MacBook Pro 2018 as per specs has AC Wi-Fi, perhaps it connects at 2x2 866Mbps, so ~500Mbps throughput is excellent.
Yes, that's correct, it says shouldn't it be closer to 866mbps in the wifi-info, but then why am I only getting 450mbps down on speedtest.net sitting very close to it?
Skjermbilde 2021-07-13 kl. 19.26.06.png

You could check the ODYSSEY - X86 board and run the OpenWrt System by Seeed. The board has Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, a J4125 CPU, and 8GB RAM. I think that will be sufficient for your application. I have checked the speeds and reaches nearly 1Gbps.

A less powerful and cheaper version compared to the above will be this CM4 Dual Gigabit Carrier Board.

Once you install the above OpenWrt system, you will have access to a lot of packages out-of-the-box, such as Plex, Docker, VPN and more....

And its still working AWESOME :) Now im tryin to figure out the best pairing with range extender RP-AC51 vs AC55 XD

Ive got few deals for about ~100$ for that RT-AC66U-B1. It is better than RT-AX55?
Any LAN - WAN <-> WAN - LAN tests to make sure its working ~940 both ways?
Not to mention RT_AX means Wi-Fi 6 while RT_AC means Wi-Fi 5 Wi-Fi 6 will soon be popular and I do not recommend AC or below it if you want speed via Wi-Fi of course when the configuration is different you must configure Mu-Mimo this It will help your device with the router to amplify more and withstand vertigo speeds more or less if it continues to fail it is because your company offers bad service or if not from Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi there is also a drastic drop better between them use this device TL-PA7017 Kit It will cost $60 I think on amazon I leave you the link https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07WRQ9S1B/

Last edited by a moderator: