What's new

Router for ATT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedly

Regular Contributor
Hello.
I have ATT Elite (6Mbps) DSL here in San Diego. Before I got it I used a TP-Link TD-W8961ND with their standard service. But when we upgraded ATT said I had to use their provided 2Wire 3600HGV.

It works fine, but I want to be able to use OpenDNS to limit content to the kiddos (we recently had a friend tell us that their 2nd grader had been looking at hard core stuff...yikes). The 2Wire is locked down and I can't change the settings to go through OpenDNS. This will allow me to control content on any device on the network instead of having to install software on each device.

So, does anyone know if the TP-Link TD-W8961ND is supposed to work on ATT Elite?
- If so, what settings should I use.

If not, then does anyone have a recommendations on a new router.
- Requirements/desirements:
- less than $150 if possible
- Wireless built in (preferrably_
- Doesn't necessarily have to be a gigabit since I've got a gigabit D-Link switch behind the router

Thanks for your help in advance.

hEdly

any router that can manually set DNS will work but if your ISP is hijacking your DNS requests than trying to use openDNS wont work unless you use a different port.

any router that can manually set DNS will work but if your ISP is hijacking your DNS requests than trying to use openDNS wont work unless you use a different port.

ATT doesn't hi-jack DNS for their DSL/U-Verse service - but the U-Verse RG's are a bit restricted on config options...

IIRC - the 2Wire RG does allow for DMZ, so put your router into the DMZ, and run your LAN/WLAN from it...

https://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-Self-Install-Internet/OpenDNS-using-AT-amp-T-s-router/td-p/3699591

Thanks SFX (looks like we are nieghbors, kinda...although San Diego is pretty spread out).
-Wow, that looks like it would work. I'll have to make time this week to fiddle with it. but gotta wait until family's not around due to their demand to use.

Also, regardless of using OpenDNS, can my router or a new one be used instead of the provided one? Or has ATT just locked it all down so that we can only use their stuff. using a single router would simplify troubleshooting in case there is a problem down the road.

You can use the same router you already have... might run into some NAT issues with consoles (PS4/3 and Xboxes, if you're into that...).

Really depends on the services - as U-Verse is IPTV, and they need the RG to facilitate that to the set top boxes for TV... DMZ might be the only option...

depends on what they up-sold you to...

If it's just plain DSL, then bridge the 2Wire... and use your router accordingly - but the 2Wire RG is a concern...

You can use the same router you already have... might run into some NAT issues with consoles (PS4/3 and Xboxes, if you're into that...).

Really depends on the services - as U-Verse is IPTV, and they need the RG to facilitate that to the set top boxes for TV... DMZ might be the only option...

If it's just plain DSL, then bridge the 2Wire... and use your router accordingly - but the 2Wire RG is a concern...

Awesome. Only have internet. No consoles. No iptv...Only using antenna.
Hopefully I'll have some alone time on the network Friday to try it out.

Much thanks,
hEdly

I would love to hear if there is an after market modem for ATT u-verse, but I'm pretty sure it's their equipment or bust.

The two modems I had an option of choosing were the PACE 5268AC, and the ARRIS NVG589. I chose the PACE because it was similar to the older router they provided. It allows "semi" bridge mode in that it will pass the external ip address through instead of NAT'ing the traffic. They call this "DMZPlus mode." It has some limitations.

Note that U-Verse uses VDSL. "Standard" ATT DSL is ADSL2+. I highly doubt your existing equipment will work. Also, expect higher latency with VDSL -- They force interleaved error correction on you (instead of fastpath which is available only with ADSL2+)

Last edited:

Sfx, a couple more questions...

First:
I was reading the document of the link you provided here. I'm a little confused about the second step:

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

Shouldn't the wire coming out of one of the four LAN ports on the 2Wire plug into port 1 of my router? the WAN port is wired for DLS...i.e. telephone. It won't know what to do with ethernet, right? I mean, I could try it, but I don't want to fry anything. I would think going through the router's switch would be the way this is handled, but maybe I'm wrong.

Second:
For wireless I assume I should disable the 2Wire's and make all wireless go through the TP-Link.

Otherwise, I think I'm set. I went into the 2Wire interface and followed the directions (without making the changes yet 'cause I ain't ready yet). All of it made sense and there were no settings that I could not have changed.

You are an 'all around helpful guy...' and any more insight you provide is very appreciated. Totally understand if you reach your limitations due to not knowing the specifics of my hardware.

V/r,
hEdly

So if possible, set up your router in the DMZ of the RG - plugging it into one of the LAN ports of the RG to the WAN port of the personal router.

One of the challenges is that you'll be double-NAT'ed, but at the same time, you'll have control over your LAN/WLAN for policy/security/DNS...

So if possible, set up your router in the DMZ of the RG - plugging it into one of the LAN ports of the RG to the WAN port of the personal router.

One of the challenges is that you'll be double-NAT'ed, but at the same time, you'll have control over your LAN/WLAN for policy/security/DNS...

sfx,
So I tried this out. The problem I see is that my router (the TP-Link W8961ND just has a phone line for the WAN, not an ethernet jack.

I tried to plug the output from the residential gateway (that's what RG stands for, right) (HGV3600) into LAN port #1 of my router. I can get on the internet through the router (connected as I write this). But when I log into the RG, go to the Firewall Applications page, I don't see the router listed.

I tried manually entering in the IP address then hit the 'choose' button. But when I do that the option to select DMZPlus disappears.

Do you think this has do do with not having the WAN port being able to accept ethernet. Also, there doesn't seem to be an option in the router to get an IP address via DHCP. I think I was able to do it in the Internet settings, under Encapsulation and choosing Dynamic IP.

But I still can't 'see' my router in the list of 'computers' in the Firewall settings of the HGV.

Thanks again
hEdly.

I got it. The router I had was just too old. I went and bought a TP-Link Archer C8. It had an Ethernet port for the WAN. Then I was able to follow the steps from the link in my first post. Open DNS is now working and blocking content.

The only disappointing thing is that the images from Google searches still show explicit content.. Apparently the only way to prevent that is by blocking Google.com all together. Can I really live without Google and rely solely on Bing at home? Yikes! Guess I'll keep looking for solutions for blocking this images.

Thanks for everyone's help.

hEdly

I got it. The router I had was just too old. I went and bought a TP-Link Archer C8. It had an Ethernet port for the WAN. Then I was able to follow the steps from the link in my first post. Open DNS is now working and blocking content.

The only disappointing thing is that the images from Google searches still show explicit content.. Apparently the only way to prevent that is by blocking Google.com all together. Can I really live without Google and rely solely on Bing at home? Yikes! Guess I'll keep looking for solutions for blocking this images.

Thanks for everyone's help.

hEdly

Isn't there a "safe search" or something like that setting for google search to restrict what is returned ? Otherwise you may have to go with some sort of filtering on the pc by user account.

So I tried this out. The problem I see is that my router (the TP-Link W8961ND just has a phone line for the WAN, not an ethernet jack.

I tried to plug the output from the residential gateway (that's what RG stands for, right) (HGV3600) into LAN port #1 of my router. I can get on the internet through the router (connected as I write this). But when I log into the RG, go to the Firewall Applications page, I don't see the router listed.

I tried manually entering in the IP address then hit the 'choose' button. But when I do that the option to select DMZPlus disappears.

Do you think this has do do with not having the WAN port being able to accept ethernet. Also, there doesn't seem to be an option in the router to get an IP address via DHCP. I think I was able to do it in the Internet settings, under Encapsulation and choosing Dynamic IP.

Ah - so the TP-Link device is a DSL modem? That would explain a bit - what you might consider is to pick up a regular router/AP, and then plug it's WAN port to one of the LAN port in the RG - once it grabs an IP address (via DHCP), you should be able to then put the Router/AP into the DMZ of the uVerse RG..

Ah - so the TP-Link device is a DSL modem? That would explain a bit - what you might consider is to pick up a regular router/AP, and then plug it's WAN port to one of the LAN port in the RG - once it grabs an IP address (via DHCP), you should be able to then put the Router/AP into the DMZ of the uVerse RG..

sfx, as I said above, I did indeed pick up a new router (router only). I got a TP-Link Archer C8 (it was on sale at Fry's last week). all is working as it should.

Isn't there a "safe search" or something like that setting for google search to restrict what is returned ? Otherwise you may have to go with some sort of filtering on the pc by user account.

degrub; while there is, indeed, the safe search option for google search, it is not persistent for every user in the household. The only way to do that is doing something called 'CNAME' in a DNS table. I think it has to be in each computer which kind of sucks. I did some research on blocing google images and they make it very difficult to do so. Bing serves up cached images from a central folder. Google does something else. The folks at OpenDNS have been asking google to do something to make it easier for tier product to filter explicit images. There's several posts about it on OpenDNS and other forums. Schools are particularly interested in blocking them.

But that is all for another post and another time.

Anyway, to get back on topic. This string is resolved. I've got my U-Verse Gateway with the wireless off. That connects to my TP-Link Archer C8 router (with the wireless activated). The Router uses OpenDNS as the DNS. I have an account on OpenDNS to filter explicit stuff for the family and it seems to work (except for filtering explicit images from a Google Image search). From the route I then have a switch for all the 'puters, AV equipment, TV's etc.

Thanks sfx2000 and snakebyte for your input and help. The link provided in http://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-for-att.30450/#post-238559
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-for-att.30450/#post-238559
(post #3 above) was really the start of figuring it out.

I hope this will work for me. I have the Pace and it provides no protection (very similar to the 2WIRE which I had awhile back. I don't like att but no choice. Thx!