What's new

Router for DHCP + Switch for ethernet (possible?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jakel1984

New Around Here
Dear all

I am not sure where this should be posted - (can it be moved if it is more suitable in a different category?)

I was hoping to get some input on the following scenario:

I currently run my home network as follows:
All DHCP has been disabled on my internet modem (from the provider)
The input is connected directly to a D-Link Dir-655, which acts as DHCP (with a few reserved IPs) and wireless network. I use a couple of switches to distribute ethernet where needed.
I have the following network-capable units permanently on the network connected via LAN (all with a reserved IP address on the router):
*NAS (Synology DS415+)
*TV (Samsung smart TV)
*Stereo 1 (Onkyo small all-in-one type - DLNA connection)
*Stereo 2 (Raspberry Pi II + Volumio + Hifiberry digi+ - DLNA connection)
Apart from the above, there is a handful of wireless devices connected on/off:
*2 PCs
*2 smartphones
*3 tablets

I have a single powerline-connection where a direct routing of ethernet cable was not possible.

It generally works, but it "crashes" on occasion...not completely, but the network seems to become less stable with drop-outs on both LAN and internet. This probably happens once/month (or thereabouts). A restart usually resolves it, but it is still annoying (e.g. when my 3 yo boy wakes me sunday morning because the cartoons aren't working :p ).

The instability is mostly annoying due to the ethernet services dropping out - i.e. TV and NAS loosing internet connection...

I have also tried to activate the QOS on the router, but it seemed to severely overload the poor thing - music streaming on portable devices got even more laggy, though I had tried to prioritize their traffic in the QOS system... (I may have done something wrong though)

now on to the question:
I have the option of buying an HP procurve 2530-24g fairly "cheaply" - from what I can read this doesn't have a DHCP server, but I am thinking that the quality of the ethernet should be much better than what the D-Link offers...I was hoping that by using it as an "ethernet-backbone" I could improve the network stability for the ethernet-connected units (and maybe add services like QOS?).
I would then use the D-Link router exclusively for DHCP and wireless networking (if the wireless network fails I can just switch e.g. a phone to use the mobile network instead - not so with the NAS, TV and music).

Is it possible to set this up, or is there nothing to gain from it?

I am in no way experienced with setting up networks, but I do have a basic understanding and am willing to "mess about with it" :)

Thank you

BR
Jakob

replace the dlink with an asus, cisco smb , netgear pro that meets your needs
The other thing you can try is to replace the dlink wall wart power supply and see if that helps.

I vote to replace the D-Link 655 router. The switch may be a nice switch but your router is too old and needs to be replaced.

Hi Degrob and Coxhaus

Thank you for the replies... I guessed as much, just don't have the money for it right now...

But I will hold out for now then...

BR Jakob

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!