What's new

Router for Range - Netgear or Buffalo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stljrs

New Around Here
After reading the reviews here, plus consumer reviews, I've narrowed it down to the Netgear WNDR3700 and the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. These seem to have the best range. We have a wired PC, G-Laptop, N-Laptop and Wii. Router will be in basement office, laptops used on main level. We get service now with an old (2002 maybe) G but it's weak at the other end of the house. Consumer reviews point to both routers being buggy. I also want to be able to manually configure one laptop as it's a work laptop and locked down. (I have no administrative rights to install programs but I can configure wireless settings). I know the Netgear is ~$50 more. Wally World sells it for $150 and they sell the Buffalo over the internet for $95. Netgear has more features and more than I'll probably use now. Which in you folks opinion is less buggy/easier to install/use? I am a networking novice.
Thanks.

As a novice, you'd probably want to go for the NETGEAR.

You will see reports on all routers as being buggy. It's the nature of the beast.

So I set the router up manually in a matter of minutes. The signal is better than my old Belkin. Laptop, Wii, and iPhone up on WPA2 no issues. One more laptop to set up. However my unit suffers from the radio disabling when guest networks are enabled. If they don't resolve that issue, how much more difficult is the Buffalo (at $50 less) to set-up. The guest network was appealing but if it doesn't work, it's not really worth $50 more at that point except that everything works and set up easily. I'm not using 5ghz at this time so it's not like I need it though I guess it's nice to have as an option.

Thanks.

Guest network should not cause problems. What does Netgear support say?

Buffalo interface is organized differently. But I'm sure you could figure it out.