What's new

Router hardware question/recommendation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torment

New Around Here
Hi,

I moved to house and the available internet connection is 250 MBit down- and 50MBit upload. Right now I use the Modem/Router (Fritz Box 7530) thats provided from the ISP.

I use the VPN from Torguard and like to have the whole Network that goes outside over the VPN. I have the choice between OpenVPN and IPsec right now but they're working on Wireguard. I have two prefered Tunnels. One where the server is as close as possile to my location so the latency is as low as possible. The other one is used to bypass some location restrictions so I would be fine with around 50MBit download.

I'd like to preserve at least 200-250MBit download over the main VPN-Tunnel though.

Plan right now is:

VDSL ->Modem(right now the Fritz Box) in Bridge Mode -> Hardware X -> Wireless AP/Switch with PC / TV / NAS

Right now what I could find are these three:

-PC Engines APU.2D4:
I couldn't find any numbers for how fast the VPN could probably be. AFAIK OpenVPN is single threaded and the processor only has 1Ghz. I planed on using OpenWRT or pfsense here.
Pro: here is that it has Intel NICs(3 LAN ports)
Con: is the maybe to slow CPU

-Zotac CI329/327 nano:
They have either an N4100 or N3450 Intel CPU that both run at around 2Ghz.
Pro: faster CPU
Con: it has Realtek NICs (2 ports) and I read that it's recommended to have Intel NICs for compatibility

HP t620 Plus thin Client:
Found some threats on reddit recommending those used. And someone already had numbers showing they're capable of running around 850MBit over VPN
Pro: I know it has probably enough CPU power
Con: Hard to get here(probably have to import from USA and shipping+customs will be equal to buying price) and it has only 1 LAN port so I need to hack another NIC in

Right now I'm a little bit lost/overwhelmed.

So I'm looking for a hardwaresolution (doesnt have to be the ones above) that can run VPN with around 200-250Mbit download (I don't care about the upload basically) that can run two seperate VPN Tunnels. Geo restricted content should go through the geo restriction VPN Tunnel (right now for Netflix and Amazon Prime). Really awesome would be automatic detection of those packages, but it would be also OK to "bind" the VPN to certain devices (two Smart TVs in this case) while all the other Network goes through the other VPN Tunnel.

Budget would be 200-300€.

I hope this is the right forum to post this and thanks a lot in advance for answers.

I would second @rnatalli and look at Qotom or Protectli embedded boxes on Amazon with at least high-clock Celeron/Pentium, if not full i3/5/7 chips. They'll be the best bang for your buck at delivering throughput numbers in software (via CPU) for whatever distro and software stack / packages you desire. By the time you throw in RAM and an SSD, the whole kit may be a bit beyond your stated budget, but IMHO worth it if it gets you the performance you're after.