What's new

Router insists it wants to start a new setup (RT-AX58U) when I try to log in?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sspur

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AX58U router, and suddenly it won't let me log in. When I input the username/password, it immediately insists it wants me to set up a new router! Yet, I am able to get into it normally from my android app. Can anybody help with this, please? I'm baffled.

I have an Asus RT-AX58U router, and suddenly it won't let me log in. When I input the username/password, it immediately insists it wants me to set up a new router! Yet, I am able to get into it normally from my android app. Can anybody help with this, please? I'm baffled.
BTW, I'm trying to log in through an ethernet cable connected in the back of the router and on a port on my computer (tried two different laptops with same result). When I type the ip address of the router it takes me to a sign in page and after I enter my login and password it goes to the setup new router routine. Thanks for any help!

Try another browser. Or, try clearing your browser cache. Or, try using 'incognito' or a similar, mode. There may be an issue with any extensions you have running on your browser.

Thanks, but that made no difference - same problem. Same outcome on incognito in chrome, edge, & trying it on an old chromebook I keep attached to the router.

Will it be extremely disruptive to reboot it? This aspect of the router has lost stability, has nothing else?

SSH/telnet to the router and execute these:

Code:
nvram set x_Setting=1
nvram set w_Setting=1
nvram commit

These 2 variables force the redirect in index.asp page if set to 0.

SSH/telnet to the router and execute these:

Code:
nvram set x_Setting=1
nvram set w_Setting=1
nvram commit

These 2 variables force the redirect in index.asp page if set to 0.
Thank you for that information. I'm going to be gone for some time, but will see if I can get my son (who is well versed in IT matters) to come by my house and take a look at doing that.

Come to think of it, that very thing may have happened to me on one of my XT8s a month or so ago while shuffling routers. May have been browser-related as I believe I got in by using the IP address directly instead of the devices network name (as is typically accessed) in the browser location bar. Maybe...