What's new

Router/Mesh vs Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A1MB1G

Occasional Visitor
I currently have my ISP's modem in bridge mode and using the Asus ZenWifi XT8 with one satelite/node. I'm finding that in two rooms near the front of the home, the router and node compete with eachother resulting in a bit of a dead space. For example, if I start airplaying music from Apple Music while sitting in the family room to my Sonos speaker and then walk over to the front of the home, the airplay stops/cuts out and I have to manually stop and restart the streaming of the music, presumably because now I'm closer to the other node.

Also, I having issues where the Asus Router is losing WAN connection to my ISP's cable modem. It's got me thinking, would I be better off just using both the Asus Router & Satelite as Access points with the main ISP modem acting as the router as well? this would allow me to place one of the Asus nodes on the top floor of my home where there may be less competition between the nodes etc?

Just trying to get a better idea/handle on the pros/cons of going with Access points. In this manner, I could have the ISP Router/Modem in the basement, the Asus Router (1st Access Point) in the family room and the Asus Satelite/Node (2nd Access Point) on the top floor.

To be honest. I never considered ZenWifi XT8 and also not Asus AiMesh. So far AiMesh 2.0 is still in beta and I highly doubt it will ever be as intuitive as Google (Nest) Wi-Fi...

One good router (I use RT-AX86U) should be OK to cover most houses if placed properly...
In terms of stability nothing beats a good wired Access Point but of course you are then dealing with a different SSID most likely, otherwise you never know if your clients are connected to your router or the Access Point...

I would keep using the ISP modem in bridge mode.

I should have mentioned that currently, I do have both Asus router/node connected via ethernet (backhaul), but still running into some issues with AiMesh from time to time where some devices will simply disconnect from the WiFi randomly. It's making me think I should test things out using Access Point instead.

I should have mentioned that currently, I do have both Asus router/node connected via ethernet (backhaul), but still running into some issues with AiMesh from time to time where some devices will simply disconnect from the WiFi randomly. It's making me think I should test things out using Access Point instead.
Its easily done, you can switch back and fourth but I would save my configuration, makes it easier.
With Access Points, I use a TP Link EAP225 (very nice and not intrusive wall mounted) you are running a stable system,. I never see any disconnects or need for re-boots, talking months, simply works.

I currently have my ISP's modem in bridge mode and using the Asus ZenWifi XT8 with one satelite/node. I'm finding that in two rooms near the front of the home, the router and node compete with eachother resulting in a bit of a dead space. For example, if I start airplaying music from Apple Music while sitting in the family room to my Sonos speaker and then walk over to the front of the home, the airplay stops/cuts out and I have to manually stop and restart the streaming of the music, presumably because now I'm closer to the other node.

Also, I having issues where the Asus Router is losing WAN connection to my ISP's cable modem. It's got me thinking, would I be better off just using both the Asus Router & Satelite as Access points with the main ISP modem acting as the router as well? this would allow me to place one of the Asus nodes on the top floor of my home where there may be less competition between the nodes etc?

Just trying to get a better idea/handle on the pros/cons of going with Access points. In this manner, I could have the ISP Router/Modem in the basement, the Asus Router (1st Access Point) in the family room and the Asus Satelite/Node (2nd Access Point) on the top floor.

How many sq ft is each level?

Where is the ISP connection and router? And the AiMesh router is now there also?

Is AiMesh using a wireless backhaul now? Do you have Ethernet cables installed? Where?

Are you using Smart Connect? Same SSIDs per band? Roaming Assistant?

What AiMesh firmware version are you using? Did you reset the firmware before configuring it?

Explain 'losing WAN connection'? Are there any clues in the router log? What type of Internet service is it? Does a PC wired to the ISP router yield consistent and expected speedtest.net results? Did the ISP router ever lose its WAN connection before adding the AiMesh?

OE