What's new

Router preference if putting multiples in a house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bthessel

New Around Here
Does one router work better than others if you are setting up multiples in the house. I am going to reuse the cat-5 phone runs in my house (6 years old) and convert them to data. I would like to then have a 3 dual band routers set up, 1 on each floor to give me maximum wifi coverage throughout the whole house. Any advice on if one router or another would be better?

oh, right now I have 3 Linksys 54gl that are running tomato and are connecting via WDS and 3 Asus RT-N12 running dd-wrt and connected via WDS to provide N coverage in the house. I am hoping to get rid of all of them to get down to 2 or 3 routers.

You could even keep the routers you have unless you have a need for N speed. Once you get rid of WDS bridging you'll notice a throughput increase.

If you want to buy new dual-band N, get the NETGEAR WNDR3700;.

Yes, in thinking about it, once I eliminate the need for WDS to connect different areas of the house that had multiple devices and use switches at each spot I don't really have the need for so heavy of wireless coverage. I think I am just going to use one of the Linksys for G coverage and as the router and then keep one of th Asus N points as an AP for the N stuff (iPad, iPods, new laptop).