What's new

Router Recommendation if required.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris Bailey

Occasional Visitor
I work for a Home Automation company and we usually use Draytek 2860's for our projects for use with the control system and customer Internet.
Most jobs are no more than 50- 100 clients including control system but we have a fairly large residential project consisting of over 180 clients.
There are 12 access points, x40 control system pieces of kit, 23 IP cameras, x9 streaming devices and up to 15 people in the house at any point plus other clients.

I get the feeling with drayteks they aren't that solid with many clients but not used them on any large ish projects.

Will they be good enough fir this project or use different make/model.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Maybe use the Draytek's as ingress end-points, and then a higher capacity router behind it to do the heavy lifting...

Drayteks are great for those features that are hard to get like if you want some good modems and to load balance multiple connections with 1 modem. I wouldnt expect them to be able to handle as much load but that depends on the hardware specs it has (like CPU and ram).

I work for a Home Automation company and we usually use Draytek 2860's for our projects for use with the control system and customer Internet.
Most jobs are no more than 50- 100 clients including control system but we have a fairly large residential project consisting of over 180 clients.
There are 12 access points, x40 control system pieces of kit, 23 IP cameras, x9 streaming devices and up to 15 people in the house at any point plus other clients.

I get the feeling with drayteks they aren't that solid with many clients but not used them on any large ish projects.

Will they be good enough fir this project or use different make/model.

If you need Wireless you should also consider adding 3 AC88U in Mimo, those antennas can easily handle 100 clients.
I know of one guy who used 3 87U and they had over 100 clients using wireless and they where super happy with the results.
Perhaps use Drayteks for routing if they have special features you need but if you also need wireless AP then consider the ASUS models as well.

Thanks for the replies.
Everything is on the same subnet and has no qos or vlan, only thing we may use on the draytek is for the dual WAN capabilities.
I think the draytek has a 600mhz cpu and 128m ram so should be OK but never used one with so many clients.

Im guessing it will be OK then.

Cheers

RAM is needed for number of connections and to store tables. CPU is needed for the throughput. 600Mhz MIPS is fast enough up to 200Mb/s of NAT on a lean config. So if you had 100Mb/s of symmetric internet than it would max out the router. Add your downloads and uploads together to get the throughput you need.

Check if draytek has dual core, it may help.