What's new

Router recommendations for gigabit internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You have no equipment matching this 10GbE service. Why do you pay for it?
It's just what they have; their standard fiber service costs between $29.99 to 49.99 depending on the level of support and whether or not you want telco service and in their most recent areas where they've completed the infrastructure it's a 10GbE connection. Even if all you need is 1GbE or less, you still have an ONT that can give you 10GbE if you can use it. No bandwidth caps either. I've been with Comcast for many years and have been waiting for Sonic to complete their fiber network in my area, and they did so about a month ago. Comcast is far more expensive for less speed(600 Mb/s), and they have a 1.2 TB cap.

Now what? You've got fast Internet line for cheap and planning to spend thousands in equipment to run speedtest? You need 10GbE capable router/firewall, 10GbE switch, 10GbE NICs, a new 10GbE capable NAS perhaps... few computers will eventually have some benefit, none of wireless devices.

Now what? You've got fast Internet line for cheap and planning to spend thousands in equipment to run speedtest? You need 10GbE capable router/firewall, 10GbE switch, 10GbE NICs, a new 10GbE capable NAS perhaps... few computers will eventually have some benefit, none of wireless devices.
No, that's not what I'm doing. I'm trying to do a bit of future-proofing is all. And if you recall in my original post, I was curious about how the WAN aggregation worked on the GT-AX6000. No, I'm not looking at these options simply for Speedtest screenshots to brag about. Just researching to prepare for the near future and you have been very helpful in that; thanks.:)

If you need something more professional, you have to prepare your wallet. No, not this one - the large one. I have purchased some 10GbE capable gear recently and frankly I don't feel comfortable to share the price in this forum. Something more accessible for home use is RT-AX89X on sale. Some folks got it for $250 recently. No Asuswrt-Merlin support, but good quality Qualcomm chipset. Other option is the new GT-AXE16000 for $700.

If you need something more professional, you have to prepare your wallet. No, not this one - the large one. I have purchased some 10GbE capable gear recently and frankly I don't feel comfortable to share the price in this forum. Something more accessible for home use is RT-AX89X on sale. Some folks got it for $250 recently. No Asuswrt-Merlin support, but good quality Qualcomm chipset. Other option is the new GT-AXE16000 for $700.
Yes, I was looking at the RT-AX89X; the no Merlin support put that on pause, but it is quite a nice piece of gear. So I'll probably take another look at it.

And as far as the larger wallet, I'll have to try and remember which mattress I stuffed that cash into!:cool:

For the choice of a gigabit router, check out this WIFI6: BD-ONT-415WX wifi6 ONU is an intelligent Wi-Fi 6 routing-type Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which provide four GE ports, one POTS port, and one USB port, and 2.4G and 5G dual band Wi-Fi connectivity. Stronger wall-though effect and lower power consumption.this one can help you.
That is possibly the most hideous device and website I have ever seen.

I would buy GT-AX6000 at this point. Not sure where you're located but they've been on sale for $330 and Newegg US runs $300 with coupon sometimes.

The hardware in the GT-AX6000 will be supported for years... The "new" main CPU (BCM4912) will extend into the wifi 7 generation. Kind of like how BCM4908/4906 extended into WIFI6 from AC Wave 2.

AX86U will be replaced by the AX86U PRO soon. (Same hardware as GT-AX6000 with a weaker 2.4G radio and lack of second 2.5G port.

Yes, I was looking at the RT-AX89X; the no Merlin support put that on pause, but it is quite a nice piece of gear. So I'll probably take another look at it.

And as far as the larger wallet, I'll have to try and remember which mattress I stuffed that cash into!:cool:

AX89X is strong, but the platform is fairly old at this point... From 2018 IIRC. Was revised with an updated main CPU in 2021, but the radios are still "dated".

Uses a 8x8 5G (teamed 4x4) + 4x4 2.4G Qualcomm platform (BCM is only 4x4 max, 8x8 was scrapped on their end) and VPN/NAS performance is basically the best you can get due to 10G/SFP ports + the fast 2.2Ghz A53 CPU.

Only downside? Doesn't support 160mhz with the 8x8 radio config. (Might use 80+80 mode..) I have to look at FCC testing again... Meaning most of your clients will only take signal one radio unless they support 160mhz and take signal from two of the teamed units.

Anyway, just consider it an 80mhz 8x8 router. :). Pretty much the reason they didn't/couldn't market it as AX11000 class. Not that it matters.

Edit: ASUS networking as a brand rarely does Qualcomm hardware too.. So any updates are going to be fairly slow/stagnant. I believe this was a one off product for the "best" hardware at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided on the GT-AX6000, I just need to start a chat session with the Best Buy folks to price match Amazon, and then I can use the $260 reward points towards the purchase.

I've decided on the GT-AX6000, I just need to start a chat session with the Best Buy folks to price match Amazon, and then I can use the $260 reward points towards the purchase.

That would be my choice if buying new. Good move.