What's new

router recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apparently merlin has an option to suppress the router's address as a DNS server, so looks like that will be the route to take.
i assume i can install merlin over the top of the existing firmware and not lose any of the existing configuration?

Ah, fair point re reporting. It should still always use the primary and only move on to the secondary if no positive response is received after a second.

For what it's worth Merlin on my AC68U shows two DNS server options, and I would imagine it'll be the same across all models, so it's probably worth looking at Merlin instead of stock.

Ah, fair point re reporting. It should still always use the primary and only move on to the secondary if no positive response is received after a second.

For what it's worth Merlin on my AC68U shows two DNS server options, and I would imagine it'll be the same across all models, so it's probably worth looking at Merlin instead of stock.

yeah, think we posted at the same time, regarding merlin....

i assume i can install merlin over the top of the existing firmware and not lose any of the existing configuration?

If I were assuming, I would not assume that.

OE

it was posed as a question, so is your response an assumption or a matter of fact?

For clarity, the screenshot I shared of the DNS Server fields is from my router's LAN > DHCP Server page. I know we're talking about the DHCP DNS.

I haven't used stock Asus firmware in years and don't keep track of any differences between Merlin and stock, so perhaps my DHCP settings are unique to Merlin.

If the other setting you're referring to isn't the advertise router IP one, then I guess it's 'Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)', which on Merlin can be found under Tools > Other Settings. Mine is set to No and I still see my router's gateway IP as the DNS address on devices.

If the other setting you're referring to isn't the advertise router IP one, then I guess it's 'Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)', which on Merlin can be found under Tools > Other Settings. Mine is set to No and I still see my router's gateway IP as the DNS address on devices.

I don't think I have that setting on stock.
I don't appear to have a tools>settings

it was posed as a question, so is your response an assumption or a matter of fact?

My response was... if I don't know that I can skip the factory default reset after installing different and third party firmware, then I would not assume that I can just to save some time and trouble. Instead, I would assume that I can't and expend the time and trouble to ensure the most reliable install possible.

OE

do you usually like to answer in riddle? it's not a good trait.

In a nutshell, Install Merlin, then reset to Factory Default Settings.

Then you can start setting up the router.

i was kinda hoping i wouldn't need to do a FS, as i've already configured quite a lot of settings.

I put up with a broken setting on my AX88U when I got it earlier this year. I installed Merlin straight away and started using the router. Scheduling just didn't work. I gave up, reset the routers setting to factory defaults, and the Scheduling works.

It's just the way code works.

Last edited:

Read the Installation advice for Asuswrt-Merlin:

OE

merlin has sorted the DNS address issue.
it adds an option called "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS", and turning this off results in the just user supplied DNS addresses being served via DHCP