What's new

router>repeater>bridge issues!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

piagetblix

New Around Here
hello,
been trying to get a 'repeater' setup for a client and it has been very frustrating.

This is what he wants:
netgear wndr3700 set as the wireless router, a netgear wn802t as a repeater, in the middle, and a linksys wet610n wireless bridge at the end. the bridge is used to connect his blu-ray player to the net.

He has been using just the wndr3700 to the wet610n just fine, but signal is a bit too weak and he has to leave the bridge at the edge of the room with a long Ethernet cable. He wants to be able to insert the wn802t as a repeater in the middle.

At first i followed the print out he had from a netgear tech support rep that had us using the WDS setup where you enter the mac address of each device into the configs, but that never worked.
Today i setup the wn802t in client mode and was able to use it as a bridge okay. So then changed it to point to multipoint. I can connect but never get an ip from it.

sorry if the post is a bit bloated, it is a confusing setup..
any info to shed light would be appreciated!!

cheers

I really would not recommend using the repeater, especially if the Blu-ray player is going to be used to play streaming content. The repeater will cut available throughput by more than half, because its single radio receives then retransmits.

If you're determined to go the repeater route, only the WN802T should know about the WNDR3700 and WET610N, i.e. have their MAC addresses entered. The WNDR3700 and WET610N should only have the WN802T's MAC addresses, not each others.

Make sure each device has a static IP assigned, outside the range of the WNDR3700's DHCP server.

Start out using NO wireless security to get things working, Then enable WEP. WPA/WPA won't work via WDS.