What's new

Router that can handle 1000Mbit Full duplex WAN-LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

+1 ... the Lite is not intended as a complete solution by itself. While I think it can be managed with their phone app, there's a lot of limitations in what you can do.
See UniFi Express. It's the same price, but comes with Cloud Key built-in.

But the UniFi Express seems to lack IDS and IPS Threat detection, that the Lite has. Or am i missing something. Perhaps not a biggy for a home network setup, but always nice to have :)
I already host my controller on a seperate computer so don't really need the cloud functionality. Or am i missing out on anything?

Last edited:
But the UniFi Express seems to lack IDS and IPS Threat detection, that the Lite has.

Correct, but IDS/IPS* can't be true packet inspection with mostly encrypted traffic anyway. With single AP you don't really need the controller, but it limits future system expansion. The hardware controller is as expensive as the UniFi Express itself. If you have 24/7 hardware running - software controller does the same thing. Actually, instead of 3x UniFi Express I'm thinking of Dream Router with 2x U6 In-Wall APs powered directly from the main unit. Dream Router hardware is better (?) and In-Wall APs have 3x LAN ports for wired devices. There are definitely options available. Just pick whatever you need. I like your single vendor approach. This is what I would prefer as well.

* - Running Suricata on pfSense, the same thing. With encrypted traffic mostly URL filtering and the obvious non-encrypted. With SSL proxy I run into more issues than benefits. Not user friendly MITM approach and eats CPU/RAM. My Netgate 5100 can do about 800Mbps up/down with this torture. Not really needed for home setup.

Last edited:
But the UniFi Express seems to lack IDS and IPS Threat detection, that the Lite has. Or am i missing something. Perhaps not a biggy for a home network setup, but always nice to have :)

Yes, I read the specs the same: no IDS on the Express.

I already host my controller on a seperate computer so don't really need the cloud functionality. Or am i missing out on anything?

Ah, I'd missed that you already have a UniFi network controller. In that case you're right, the Express isn't bringing anything you need (unless you want its far-from-high-end wifi AP). While the spec sheets are both pretty silent on performance, it's a reasonable bet that the Lite is a faster router than the Express, given that they're the same price but the Express has an AP built in.

it's a reasonable bet that the Lite is a faster router

Or most likely the same hardware with marketing involved.

UniFi Express is more consumer oriented product. Gateway Lite is more business oriented product.

Yes, I read the specs the same: no IDS on the Express.

Ah, I'd missed that you already have a UniFi network controller. In that case you're right, the Express isn't bringing anything you need (unless you want its far-from-high-end wifi AP). While the spec sheets are both pretty silent on performance, it's a reasonable bet that the Lite is a faster router than the Express, given that they're the same price but the Express has an AP built in.
Since im planning to change my current UniFi AC-PRO to a AP6 (or AP7 haven't decided), the extra wifi wont be used anyway.
The performance results with the Lite + IDS/IPS enabled are still in gigabit range (no difference if you have it enabled or disabled). So leaning towards the Lite, however the Dream Router could also be an option perhaps. They sure don't make it easy to choose :D

I'm leaning towards the Dream Router. Faster CPU, 2GB RAM, 2x PoE, etc. My wife is excited around decorating the place and likes more UniFi Express. There is Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) in play, it's not easy indeed. In my defense U6 In-Wall are almost invisible, no wires and power adapters. Dream Router looks like soda can though. 🤭

I've been kind of lusting after a UDM-Pro, myself :) It'd go into an existing equipment rack in a closet, so no WAF concerns. Can't quite justify it till I get a better-than-gigabit FiOS connection, which will surely happen someday but doesn't seem imminent. DIY router could be another way, but I'm not excited about putting a lot of time into the project.

I read the dream router is good for 700 Mbit only.

In my case this is not an issue, but can you provide the source of information? If true - Gateway Light also has a problem. It has a weaker than DR hardware.

See feedback here after newer firmware updates:

1707691846078.png

Posted 4 months ago.

Last edited:
What folks say about Gateway Light throughput with IDS/IPS enabled? @Orbih ⚠️

If true - Gateway Light also has a problem. It has a weaker than DR hardware.

The Lite indeed seems to have a lesser CPU, but that doesn't tell you all that much about routing performance. What you need to know about for that is what the hardware offload data paths can manage, and the spec sheets are generally pretty mum about that.
In this case, the Lite is a much newer product than the DR, so it wouldn't surprise me if it has better routing hardware. I do notice that it has no performance disclaimer comparable to the DR's.
EDIT: probably, the better CPU in the DR is there to handle the controller functions (Network etc apps), which the Lite doesn't run.

EDIT: probably, the better CPU in the DR is there to handle the controller functions (Network etc apps), which the Lite doesn't run.

💡

In general, when replying, please quote at least part of the OP's post that you are replying to. Posts don't always appear in sequence.

That said, the part of your post quoted above is both unkind and making an assumption about the OP's intent.

Adjust your attitude and refrain from personal attacks or you'll get a timeout.

No assumptions were made and no unkindness on my part. Demonstrated taunting.

But now, I have a name for it.