What's new

Router upgrade from VirginMedia Hub 3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

touchdownboy

New Around Here
Hi all,

Was hoping to get some assistance please. UK based.

Curently live with my parents who have Virgin Media 250 internet. Problem is the VM Hub 3 is rubbish in terms of range and generally a terribly performer (a little research seems to confirm this). As i am furthest away i suffer the most! i can get a weak 5ghz signal but mostly relying on 2.4ghz. i'm thinking a new router will improve range and enable me to get 5ghz and therefore faster speeds. Whilst i'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to PC's, i'm a bit more basic when it comes to wifi/networking so looking for some help please.

i'm thinking i have three options to improve the current situation:

1. see if we can get a VM hub 5. given this seem in short supply and VM will most likely priotise other 1 gig customers etc. seems to be a non starter
2. get a really good router such as the ASUS AX86u (see this recomended a lot on here) or another good router that i can use now and then take with me when i eventually move out
3. get a router at the cheaper end that will improve range etc.still that i don't mind leaving behind

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I've had various VM Hub's in my time. Even though I usually use my own router I found (when I've occasionally switched back to using the Hub) that the Wi-Fi on the Hub3 and Hub5 was pretty decent, unlike the earlier models. The problem is often not the Hub but where it's installed (e.g. behind a TV in the corner of the house).

So with my Asus router I can get Wi-Fi coverage across my whole house but that's only because it's located centrally with an ethernet cable running back to the Hub downstairs.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Are your parents okay with you making changes to their Internet? They perhaps know or expect your moving out plans and want the Internet service supported by VM. The answer to this question will tell you how to proceed further. You may need an extender only for now.

Are your parents okay with you making changes to their Internet? They perhaps know or expect your moving out plans and want the Internet service supported by VM. The answer to this question will tell you how to proceed further. You may need an extender only for now.

That has nothing to do with OP’s question. I’m pretty sure they didn’t come in here asking for parental permission advice.

I've had various VM Hub's in my time. Even though I usually use my own router I found (when I've occasionally switched back to using the Hub) that the Wi-Fi on the Hub3 and Hub5 was pretty decent, unlike the earlier models. The problem is often not the Hub but where it's installed (e.g. behind a TV in the corner of the house).

So with my Asus router I can get Wi-Fi coverage across my whole house but that's only because it's located centrally with an ethernet cable running back to the Hub downstairs.
Thanks for the response.

Location of the router is not that central and unfortuantely i can't relocate as no ducts etc. to run cables through. Its not the worst location but it could be better. Other issue i have is that i the VM Hub3 won't save channel settings, so i can change over to a less crowded channel but the Hub will evetnualy revert despite have everything to manual and optimisation set to off. A bit of research suggests that other people have this problem with the Hub3.

Just to confirm signal strength, i usually get RSSI of -81 on 5ghz, but connection can be tempremental, and RSSI of -69 on 2.4 ghz.

is getting a better router likley to improve on the Hub3 just by the fact i can manually set to less crowded channels for 5ghz and 2.4ghz? Have Neighbours on either side so quite possible signals are conflicting.

i could see if we can get the pods from Virgin but there seem to be caveats which i will need to look at

Last edited:
If you were to use a separate wireless router would you be able to move that into a better position? 5GHz in particular is easily blocked by solid objects so sometimes moving the router by only a meter can have a big difference.

Yeah, -81 is pushing it for connection quality/stability. Regardless of which router you're using they all have to operate within the same power restrictions, which is quite low in the UK/EU. That said, there is a big potential power difference on 5GHz channels 100 to 140 (1000mW vs. 200mW). So if you can use those channels instead of 36 to 64 you could get a noticeable improvement (I do).

If your existing Hub does everything you want apart from the signal strength problem then you don't need to spend lots of money on an expensive router. Don't be fooled by "gaming" routers. As I said above, all routers are restricted by the wireless regulations so there's very little variation between them in terms of Wi-Fi range.

Ah, didn't know that about the channels 100 and above on 5ghz. i'll change it over and see if it improves. As mentioned VM Hub3 doesn't like keeping my settings so i dare say it will default to Channel 44 again.

Can't run an ethernet cable unfortuantely to better positon a seperate router, so a repalcement would still be in the same location as the VM Hub.