What's new

Router Upgrade with Wireless VLAN capability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Another fun fact is RT-AX82U the "alien spaceship" sells better than anything else. There were 5 available at 9AM and 1 only left now at 12PM. It's also on sale for CAD200 or USD147. Seems like this one is not only popular choice, but also with excellent feedback on most sites. RGB power! :)

Another fun fact is RT-AX82U the "alien spaceship" sells better than anything else. There were 5 available at 9AM and 1 only left now at 12PM. It's also on sale for CAD200 or USD147. Seems like this one is not only popular choice, but also with excellent feedback on most sites. RGB power! :)
People love their RGB. I could care less really as its what is under the hood that matters. BTW the GT-ax6000 was 259.99 at microcenter and the ax88u pro was 299.99. Much cheaper than Amazon.

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations! I'm looking at the GT-AX6000 now, that EVA edition looks so cool haha!

So someone mentioned that only enterprise hardware would get VLAN capabilities, can anyone confirm whether the GT-AX6000 will get it?

I'm also thinking about this, if I upgrade to the GT-AX6000 it looks like it supports AiMesh. Would I be able to use my old AC-5300 as a mesh router then as well? Not sure if a mesh setup like this would all have to be the same model for each node etc

So someone mentioned that only enterprise hardware would get VLAN capabilities

There is no Asus enterprise hardware. Home routers with Pro in the name and some ROG models are getting Pro firmware at some point. GT-AX6000 is one of them unless Asus decides later it's more ROG than Pro. Releasing of almost identical hardware RT-AX88U Pro model is perhaps an indication of such possibility. We'll find out when official release Pro firmware becomes available.

Would I be able to use my old AC-5300 as a mesh router

In theory AiMesh allows mix and match of AiMesh compatible routers, but how well this particular combination is going to play together is something up to you to discover. AiMesh works best with identical router models and wired backhaul. Mix of different generation AX and AC routers on different firmware base and wireless backhaul may come with some unexpected challenges.

In theory AiMesh allows mix and match of AiMesh compatible routers, but how well this particular combination is going to play together is something up to you to discover. AiMesh works best with identical router models and wired backhaul. Mix of different generation AX and AC routers on different firmware base and wireless backhaul may come with some unexpected challenges.
I was just going to ask you about this. That sucks if you need the same hardware to not have issues.

You don't necessarily need the same hardware, but AiMesh is supported by many Asus routers and the combinations are many. Some of the routers were never tested together. Routers with different Wi-Fi capabilities, different generation hardware and different firmware level mixed together may not produce Asus marketing advertised results. A car with four different tires will still move around, but the performance will be far from optimal.

Awesome, thanks so much for all the information!

These Asus routers, are they the top recommendation lately? Or are these usually recommended when someone's upgrading from another Asus router device?

I'm open to looking at other brands too if they're highly recommended and have great specs and VLAN capability, so I figured I'd check!

Awesome, thanks so much for all the information!

These Asus routers, are they the top recommendation lately? Or are these usually recommended when someone's upgrading from another Asus router device?

I'm open to looking at other brands too if they're highly recommended and have great specs and VLAN capability, so I figured I'd check!
I dont really keep up with home network products till I need to upgrade but ide say they all have their issues. Depends on what you want to spend really. Narrow down the choices with the features you want and watch some comparison videos or reviews.

Right on! So I have maybe one more question, I see there's a GT-AX11000 PRO version, but I don't see a Pro version for the GT-AXE16000. Would this make a difference at all, in terms of features and whatnot? Or is that just branding and marketing?

Right on! So I have maybe one more question, I see there's a GT-AX11000 PRO version, but I don't see a Pro version for the GT-AXE16000. Would this make a difference at all, in terms of features and whatnot? Or is that just branding and marketing?
Is they both support vlans im sure the software options are pretty similar. I would guess its mainly the hardware performance that separates them.

Is they both support vlans im sure the software options are pretty similar. I would guess its mainly the hardware performance that separates them.
Maybe not.
Take a graze through this subforum as well as search through the threads here for those models and the "pro" (definitely at least marketing, time will tell) versions.

Holy cow! I have an issue that almost all answers I found on this thread alone.

Now, I will definitely buy the ET12 and post the results here.

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for helping a ton with info. Also thanks to @Piotrek for pointing me here :D

Note that VLAN support is available in Asus Beta firmware - it may not work properly and cause various problems. The final version may appear in a year or more.