What's new

Router upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I replaced the antennas with normal looking 7-8 inch ones. Looks 10X better, better swiveling/repositioning and performs just as well, maybe even a dBm or 2 better anywhere around the house.
Which antennas did you get ?

Which antennas did you get ?
I'm not sure where I got them from as I had them in drawer for ages. I may have gotten them to replace smaller antennas on some router at one time. They are about 8 inches end to tip. They look like the typical round body antennas with a tapered tip you can get on Amazon/ebay.

I was actually going to give these a try before I found the ones I have. They look exactly the same as the ones I'm using ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMB9PST/?tag=snbforums-20

I even tried the ones off an old dlink dir-880L, same length, but that one only had 3 antennas. Those worked just as well mixed in with the other generic ones.

@Kees17760
Good score on the 6000!
Two technical questions regarding your setup:
- Do you have something to move the air in/out of your shelving for ventilation?
- Are you utilizing name brand or generic toothpaste lids?
- No fans or anything extra used for ventilation, in a (5-side) closed wooden cabinet.
- Any brand will do, as long as it makes you :D

Edit1: Although i found no cooling issues (yet), placing a simple fan on top of the router (on the perforated "rog" letters) made the CPU temperature drop 9 degr. C. Tcpu is now max 50 degr. C, running light load (VPN, browsing and streaming Hi-Res audio).

Last edited:
..I was actually going to give these a try before I found the ones I have. They look exactly the same as the ones I'm using ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMB9PST/?tag=snbforums-20

I even tried the ones off an old dlink dir-880L, same length, but that one only had 3 antennas. Those worked just as well mixed in with the other generic ones.
LOL ..the one review of them says 50% faster. One would think not having all the plastic on the AX6000 ones to go through woud help.

Last edited:
@Kees17760 Toothpaste caps are a logical idea and resourceful.
I have my 6000 placed on top of a laptop cooler (not activated) to help with airflow. I have not experienced any temp issues RE: GT-AX6000.
Swapping antennas might not be the best idea for your needs. I'm sure Bingfu has done diligent research to build the best product, but I personally let Asus products work as designed without modifications (ex: adding coolers or swapping hardware).

I'm sure Bingfu has done diligent research

The original antennas are WhaYu brand dual-band standard dipole type with 2-3dBm max gain depending on the band. That means omni-directional and the position doesn't matter much or at all. Perhaps the red plastic accent is what brings more "power". No information on special plastic composition.

I think if one sets the RGB to only red one gets 50% more 5Ghz range...

Red boosts 2.4GHz. You have to set it to Violet for 5GHz. There is a science behind it:

1675204753244.png

This explains why EVA edition is the most expensive one. Do you see the power?

1675204843573.png

You think GT-AX6000 is ugly? Meet ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 AX10000:

1675221163060.png

If you need a divorce - Asus has a quick solution for you for just under $1000.