What's new

Router with VLAN capable WAN port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeroen1000

Regular Contributor
Colour me stupid but does this exist? I just want the WAN port to function as an untagged member of, lets say, VLAN2.

Then, I'd create a trunk (tagged port) on a LAN port of the router, which trunks VLAN 2 and some other VLAN. Assume this trunks ends in a VLAN switch, then members of VLAN 2 on this switch will bypass NAT, firewall and routing, and essentially function as a WAN port.

Is this function so far fetched? :)

cheers,
Jeroen

I don't get what you're asking....

routers segregate LAN's. If you want to pass through all data and have the router do nothing then why have the router?

I attached a picture to make this easier to follow:)
I have a tv ip box somewhere (represented by the device with the red line, left in the picture). It is connected to a VLAN switch, which in turn is connected to another VLAN switch, which in turn is connected to the router.

So I've put this box in VLAN20. I want it to get a public IP from my ISP (I don't have a choice).

So essentially, I want a VLAN20 that behaves like it is bridged with the WAN port. Except, I want it to happen at wirespeed and bridging is done is software.
Logically, it would be as if the tv box is plugged directly into the ISP modem.
Virtually, I want to achieve this with a VLAN.

I hope I did a better job explaining this time:D

Attachments

• NETWORK.jpg
    NETWORK.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
You should be able to do this as long as your router allows you to assign the DMZ to a VLAN. Router should probably also be able to put VLANs in separate subnets.

If you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP and want to assign a particular one to the device, the router will need to support one-to-one NAT, too.

I think the Cisco RV042 can do all this.

Googling for "put a VLAN in DMZ" will give you other ideas.

Good idea! I'll look into that. It would/might (this is an assumption) be possible to configure a Cisco IOS router as DDWRT does it:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Default_Configuration_Overview

The wan port as access port in VLAN 20. The trunk port would then be in VLAN10 + 20 (obviously). And then route VLAN10 to a virtual VLAN20 interface (which holds the public IP). But Cisco's are a bit expensive considering I want good NAT throughput. So thanks Tim, I'll examine your suggestion.

ps: ever heard of MAC address passthrough? They talk about this on a forum about Belgian ISP's. Our ISP's routers would perform that trick. But I am unfamlilar with it.