What's new

routers with "classic" routing mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

viper7977

New Around Here
Hi everyone. i'm an I.T. Admin for a small business with about 15 computers and 2 servers to manage. Because of the new federal PCI regulations we have just segmented our network into two different subnets. On one subnet are the 2 servers and 3 PCs and on the other subnet are the rest of the PCs and a few network printers. We've been using two Netgear ProSafe FVS-338 routers as the gefault gateways between the two subnets. Both of the Netgear routers are plugged into the same firewall which provides us our connection to the internet. The reason I went with the Netgear ProSafe FVS-338 is because it was the only relatively cheap router/firewall that had a "Classic Routing" mode to route traffic between the LAN /WAN interfaces rather than using NAT. But these routers are complete crap! They are constantly locking up. If I would have read reviews about them before I bought them, I probably would not have even tried them. Obviously a Cisco or 3com router will work but they are also $1000 more and a bit more of a pain to configure.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any other small business/ high end home office routers that will do "Classic Routing" (Disable NAT)? Thanks in advance for your help.

v

I've had very good experiences using the Linksys/Cisco RV0 series for my smaller business clients. Good stability, good solid performance..the only thing I'm not fond of on them is their IPSec VPN client...but haven't tried recent versions which may have gotten better. But if you're not using them as edge devices then you can't use the VPN part anyways.

Althoug you could simplify your network by using 1x RV0 at the edge like an RV082 or RV016, and use the built in managed switch to separate your network into 2 networks using port based VLANS.