What's new

Routers with DNS LAN/WLAN Client Registration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr. Strangelove

Occasional Visitor
Are there such routers? I see such a router as a solution to Microsoft killing netbios/wins in Windows 10 1803 and later. I know I can work around the issue, but LMHOST is really old school.

Doc

Asus routers are able to resolve local hostnames provided clients are DHCP-based, and you are using the router as your DNS.

Seems like you have the same name as my space engineers game server.

A lot of routers have their own DNS server as cache, but some let you configure it around. Even mikrotik's DHCP has a lot of fields, including WINS.

Not sure, I haven't used DD-WRT in quite a few years. There's a chance it does since it uses dnsmasq. As long you use that device to provide both DHCP and DNS services on your LAN - DNS registration (as done by Windows clients) will not work on any of these routers. dnsmasq needs to have a device's DHCP lease to be able to resolve its IP.

Ok, thanks for the information.

In general, without DD-WRT or OpenWRT, what are your thoughts on the WRT3200ACM?

Doc

I don't have any particular experience with that specific model, so can't really comment. I only tried the WRT1900, and I wasn't a fan. Didn't like the firmware (OpenWRT wasn't available for it yet at the time), and it failed to recognize the two USB HDDs tried to plug to it. And since the firmware was so tightly closed down, I couldn't even access any log to determine what was going on.

I gave it to a friend, who seemed to be fairly happy with it.

So if you're stuck with the stock firmware, I would stay away from Linksys devices.

In general, without DD-WRT or OpenWRT, what are your thoughts on the WRT3200ACM?

Outside of the Wireless - all the WRT's are pretty much same - so whether OpenWRT or DD-WRT - approach is the same.

Can't say much about DD-WRT as it's been a while since I've looked at that - OpenWRT, depends on the packages installed and how they're configured.

Looking at the original post - it's more of a Windows 10 client issue with recent updates - it's not just smb, but also the name resolution for legacy SMB hosts, which on linux and Samba, is generally handled by nmdb, and the user stuff which is handled by winbindd -- so it's not just one daemon...

https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-samba-daemons.html

With current Windows 10 - one does need to enable the legacy services...

Some explanation here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

hope this helps...

Asus routers are able to resolve local hostnames provided clients are DHCP-based, and you are using the router as your DNS.

There might be some issues there - recently a forum member loaned me a device... things can get odd there cross-platform with factory firmware.

In the past Active Directory did not handle using other than Microsoft's DHCP and DNS. But I have not kept up in the last few years.