What's new

Routing Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBobs

New Around Here
Hello All,

I've got 2 wireless routers connected via a wireless bridge. Computers on router 2 (downstream?) can see everything on router 1 (upstream?), but computers on router 1 cannot see anything beyond the WAN port of router 2.

My apologies that I lack the common terminology, so I've included a diagram of my setup. I'm pretty sure I didn't even use the correct visio shapes but I hope it shows what I am trying to do; If it can even be done.

Laptop 2 connected to router 2 can see everything. Laptop 1 connected to router 1 can see everything except the lan behind router 2. I suspect I am missing some routes somewhere to get router1 to route to router2 for router2's lan?

Sorry for not explaining this very well, but thankful for any input.

Attachments

• locallan.jpg
    locallan.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 265
Thanks, jdabbs! That worked perfectly.

Last question I promise: Noticed everything behind Bridge B appears with Bridge B's mac address on Router 1's side. Anything that can be done about that?

I don't think DHCP on Router 1 will work very well if your bridge was tampering with MACs. On what device are you monitoring MACs?

DHCP seems to be working fine but on router 1 (WNDR3300), all devices including wireless clients on router 2 (WNR2000v2) are getting 192.168.10.x IPs assigned no problem.

When I'm on router 1/A (WNDR3300) and I look at 'attached devices', everything from the Router 2/B side shows up with the same MAC as Bridge B.

Not a real big deal, minor caveat for address reservation.

It may be a flaw in how the "Attached Devices" page performs discovery. I suggest running arp -a at the command prompt of Laptop 1 to determine whether MACs are being modified.