What's new

RP-AC56 as an AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WirelessWonk

Occasional Visitor
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RP-AC56/

I just noticed this model appeared and the big feature for me is that it supports Roaming Assist which essentially kicks clients that have a weak signal. Until now I had only seen this feature in the higher end router line.

If the RP-AC56 has good speeds and range in AP mode it seems like an ideal AP to cover more of my house... I currently have a Netgear EX6100 upstairs but because devices stick to it I think it does more harm than good in my network, I also keep it on a separate SSID because of this so clients can be manually forced off it.

Anyone tried this out? I can only find reviews that cover its wireless extending performance and media feature... I would love to see a review of it as a wired AP.

I've never tried that router, although I am interested in it. More than likely RA is disable when you put the router in AP mode.

WirelessWonk, I've communicated w/ someone here that had the rp-ac56 & had all sorts of problems w/ them. I think Asus put those on the market to have us be paying beta testers for them. I don't think those rp-56s are ready for prime time yet.

I looked into these myself and found very bad experience and reviews believe it uses a mediatek 5ghz chip and its super shirt

I looked into these myself and found very bad experience and reviews believe it uses a mediatek 5ghz chip and its super shirt

The MediaTek SoC in RP-AC56 is actually damn good - a sibling to the one used in your ER-X :D

Well this thread is discouraging. I wonder if the North American release is any better.

I am primarily interested in a low cost AC class AP that has roaming assist if anyone has suggestions.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online