What's new

RT-AC1900P + Merlin SQUASHFS errors

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lakluster

New Around Here
Recently switched over to a RT-AC1900P that I've had laying around. On stock asus firmware, I'd get a kernel panic once every 24 hours or so causing a hard reboot. Each time a random module seemed to be the problem. I eventually gave up trying to triage it and tried switching to merlin 384.8_2. I've had no stability issues while just running now. Changing some settings will cause wifi and all connectivity to drop (no ssh access) and I have to just yank the power out to reboot it, but just running it seems fine. That said I have noticed some errors in the log file which I'm worried about:

Code:
Jan  7 02:45:37 kernel: SQUASHFS error: xz_dec_run error, data probably corrupt
Jan  7 02:45:37 kernel: SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x6bc908
Jan  7 02:45:37 kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [6bc908]

It has been more than a week since I've flashed the firmware (and I flashed / reset several times as I had originally borked it pretty hard when messing around with different firmwares). Most recently these occurred after around 3 days of uptime. From searching the general response is this is normal if you've just flashed, which in my case I have not. The other response was this may be a flash memory problem. I'm wondering if there is anything more specific I can run to determine if this is indeed a hardware problem? If this is a hardware problem and failure will be sooner rather than later, I'd rather just try and get my extended warranty to cover getting a replacement while I can. Any ideas?

Last edited: