What's new

RT-AC3100 Adaptive QOS default class issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shleets

Occasional Visitor
Good Morning, I just received the RT-AC3100 last night and flashed it to Merlin 380.65. I setup adaptive QOS, however, all traffic is going to the default class. I also have a RT-AC87U but that device places everything in the correct class and that is also on 380.65. I placed FreshJr's fix on the RT-AC87U for the flow ID to get things out of the default class and that also works.

The issue with RT-AC3100 everything is default it seems like the device cannot differentiate any of the traffic. I have tried turning on and off NAT ACCEL and other parameters but nothing changes. The image below is while streaming a video. I gave priority to the streaming device, placed video streaming at the top and everything is classed default.

upload_2017-2-18_6-21-54.png

Are you running a VPN client on the router? If so, try turning it off.

In my case, yes I was. But as a policy based tunnel for 3 x IP's. Is this a limitation that if VPN is enabled, QoS graphing cannot tag correctly, even if it's just a small portion of devices that actually route through the tunnel?

All my VPN is disabled and all traffic goes to default. I have an identical configuration on my RT-AC87U and it gets classified correctly.

My expectation would be that any VPN traffic would fall into default, but non-VPN traffic should be counted correctly (since VPN is using a different interface).

Thinking some more, I can envision potential problems as well if you are running dual-wan, especially in load balance mode.

Not trying to hijack, just feel my scenario is (exactly) on topic as OP's.

In my case, no Dual-Wan.

EDIT: Thinking out loud, could this be related to traffic over IPV6?

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack, just feel my scenario is (exactly) on topic as OP's.

In my case, no Dual-Wan.

EDIT: Thinking out loud, could this be related to traffic over IPV6?

I doubt it, because mine shows the same thing too while using IPv4 only.

No dual WAN for me either. VPN traffic would go to the default class but this has been addressed in another thread on how to correct that.

I'm having the exact same issue on AC88U with 380.65, all traffic is being classified as default after a couple of seconds monitoring the page. So for a few seconds I can see the traffic being classified correctly and suddenly all goes into default. Nothing fixes the problem except playing around with the categories and applying them on the fly (for a few seconds). At first I thought it might be only the page not showing the classes correctly but after running some tests I'm pretty convinced that adaptive QOS stops working completely. I have no ipv6, no vpn, no dual WAN and NAT is processed by the CPU and I've also tried rebooting and factory reset. The issue still persists.