What's new

RT-AC3100 and NAT Acceleration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdcam

New Around Here
Have had an RT-AC3100 for past several years running the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (recently upgraded to the latest version). Router has been rock solid since I got it. Home network had 300 mb/s service and always was able to achieve close to max on wireless and hardwired devices.
Recently upgraded my ISP service to 1Gig (expecting 700-900mb in real world), but ended up not seeing much of a difference from my prior service, was seeing 340-390mb/s. Looked all around and even had the ISP scheduled to come back out figuring ISP modem was bad or misconfigured. Right before appointment I discovered a thread somewhere pointing to the NAT acceleration feature. I had disabled mine early on as I was utilizing the parental controls to disable the internet at a certain time for the kids. Apparently it needs to be disabled in order for parental controls and QOS to work properly. With my older slower connection it apparently didn't have much of an impact. Enabling the NAT acceleration opened thing up and I was able to get the 700-900 MBs speeds I was expecting, but now apparently the parental controls and time scheduling no longer will function This appears to be an issue with not just Asus as I saw a link on a TP-Link forum mirroring the same concern with one of their routers.

Question I have, as my router is couple years old, ..are any of the newer Asus routers capable of actually taking full advantage of 1GB WAN services while still being able to fully utilize all the functionality they advertise?

Kind of annoyed I bumped up service and now it appears, to actually use it, I need to give up router features/functionality...

If there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Question I have, as my router is couple years old, ..are any of the newer Asus routers capable of actually taking full advantage of 1GB WAN services while still being able to fully utilize all the functionality they advertise?

No. Without NAT acceleration they all turn into up to 300-350Mbps routers. You'll need x86 router/firewall to process Gigabit with no limitations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!