What's new

RT AC3200 limit on the number of 2.4GB clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi. same issue here. Asus confirmed via email that the ac3200 has a chipset limitation of 25 2.4 GHz devices. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. I feel ripped off as I paid 200 for this router and it’s basically useless for me now.

Considering that 32 is the maximum wireless clients per band supported reliably by almost any router, I don't think that is a fair judgment. ;)

Considering that 32 is the maximum wireless clients per band supported reliably by almost any router, I don't think that is a fair judgment. ;)

Not all routers have this limitation. Rukus AP’s can handle 100. Asus must have their head in the sand. It’s 2019. I have 4 Wi-Fi nest smoke detectors, 3 cameras, a garage door opener, 2 door locks, 12 smart plugs/lights, two old game console , a video door beep, etc all which only support 2.4. I have over 50 Wi-Fi connected devices. Most of them pass very little data. They should describe these limitations Openly. It’s not fair to spend 200$ and not know. Had I have known. I gladly would have the spent the money else where even if it meant spending more on a rukus or Cisco router that can handle this. Not to mention I had an older Asus router that had no problem. For 2019 this is a shame. Just about everything days has Wi-Fi.

Not all routers have this limitation. Rukus AP’s can handle 100. Asus must have their head in the sand. It’s 2019. I have 4 Wi-Fi nest smoke detectors, 3 cameras, a garage door opener, 2 door locks, 12 smart plugs/lights, two old game console , a video door beep, etc all which only support 2.4. I have over 50 Wi-Fi connected devices. Most of them pass very little data. They should describe these limitations Openly. It’s not fair to spend 200$ and not know. Had I have known. I gladly would have the spent the money else where even if it meant spending more on a rukus or Cisco router that can handle this. Not to mention I had an older Asus router that had no problem. For 2019 this is a shame. Just about everything days has Wi-Fi.

There is nothing stopping you from selling what doesn't work for you and buying what you know will. ;)

It seems a fair point that known hard limits should be disclosed on the box and advertising copy.

It seems a fair point that known hard limits should be disclosed on the box and advertising copy.

I totally agree. I don't see anyone else doing it though. Not even in the fine print. ;)

Correct. My problem is this. Time is money. It’s cheaper to toss it which I probably will than spent the time and effort to sell it on eBay for a fraction of what I paid for it. My complaint is that these limitations should be listed or document which they are not. When I bought it this was one of their top tier routers and was advertised as much. Had this been one of their lower end products I’d understand. If the limitation is 25 devices this is a toy.

Last edited: