What's new

RT-AC51U OpenVpn client reconnect issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BosseSwede

Regular Contributor
I have set up an ASUS RT-AC51U router to automatically connect to my home VPN served by a Linux Ubuntu server on my home LAN.
This gives the clients on that router access to my home LAN and the Internet via my fiber connection.

But I have noted a very disturbing non-feature of this, which I did not anticipate:

Whenever the OpenVPN server on my home LAN reboots (power failure or intended after some system update) then this RT-AC51U router fails to reconnect!
I have another router (ASUS RT-AC86U) also connecting to my home LAN using the same OpenVPN server, but this router works just fine when desling with loss of connectivity and reconnects asap. Takes a minute or so after a server reboot before it is on-line again.

Is there some kind of router configuration for VPN client I have missed on the RT-AC51U or is it simply too limited to be able to run a reconnect after failing?

So I have checked with the OpenVPN community after finding this post on serverfault and it seems that using this entry in the client config file may be the culprit:
Code:
persist-tun
Unfortunately the ovpn file used for OpenVPN on this router has this entry...
So that should be removed, but cannot be done remotely.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!