What's new

RT-AC5300 and Guest Network Access Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dizzygibbon

New Around Here
I apologize if this has been gone over before, I tried searching but couldn't find a concrete answer. So I have a guest network setup on my AC-5300 on the 5 Ghz channel. I have "access Intranet" disabled. I was under the assumption that this would prevent the guest network from accessing devices on my main Network Bothe wifi and plugged in. Now I have a Brother printer that is connected to the 2.4 ghz channel on my router. Today as a test I was able to log into the guest network and still print something from that printer even though they are on separate networks and different channels. Is it supposed to work like that? I want to make sure that the guest network doesn't have access to my device like , smart devices, tv's, gaming consoles, printer etc. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance.

What firmware are you running? What other features and options have you enabled?

Hey thanks for reply, I am on stock Asus firmware (Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_82072-gc842320)

as far as settings for guest network I have the access intranet disabled and Mac filtering disabled. I don't have any port forwarding setup. Are there any other settings that would be contributing to this that I should look for?

Also I am just using this router no nodes or mesh setup

Have you enabled IPv6 on your network/router (does the ISP even offer it)?

When you flashed to that latest version of the firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults, followed by a minimal and manual configuration (without importing a saved backup config file) to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

If you did not do a full reset, above, when was the last time you did so? Do you remember the version installed before you upgraded to this firmware version?

Have you enabled IPv6 on your network/router (does the ISP even offer it)?

When you flashed to that latest version of the firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults, followed by a minimal and manual configuration (without importing a saved backup config file) to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

If you did not do a full reset, above, when was the last time you did so? Do you remember the version installed before you upgraded to this firmware version?
I have not enabled IPv6 didn't know if I should (I have Cox cable so it is available)

I actually followed your guide to flashing the firmware to stock probably 4-5 months ago. I changed to all new SSID and did not use a backup config file it was a totally fresh process

I had previously used a merlin FW then went back to stock.

Maybe it's time to test with RMerlin firmware again? :)

The 386.1 Beta 5 is stable for many.

Or, if you're the patient type, you can wait for Asus to release the 386.xx code base for your model (expected in the next few days/weeks).

I am totally open to going back to merlin which is why I came here for help :)

I may try going to merlin here in a few minutes and see how it goes. I appreciate your feedback greatly! So it terms of the IPv6 you think I should enable that?

No, let's leave that alone for now. After successfully connecting the scale again, IPv6 can always be enabled in 'test mode' later to see if it benefits your network then. :)

Ok got merlin on and things seem to be pretty smooth. In fact I gained about 50 on download speed to my upstairs computer.

My guest account does not work either anymore (no internet access) since updating to 386.1 firmware.
Rebooting does not solve the problem nor removing guest account and adding it again.

@wolflow welcome to the forums.

What router are you using? What firmware did you update from?

Does using Guest Network 2, or 3 work?

Did you perform a full reset after flashing to the latest firmware (needed for some as detailed in the changelog)?

@wolflow welcome to the forums.

What router are you using? What firmware did you update from?

Does using Guest Network 2, or 3 work?

Did you perform a full reset after flashing to the latest firmware (needed for some as detailed in the changelog)?
Thx 4 very fast reply.
Using an Asus RT-AC5300
Updated from 384.19 (previous asuswrt-merlin version)
I'm not aware of option to add multiple guest networks, 2.4 and 5 GHz split aside.
I did not perform NVRAM erase.

Yes, I do.
Wasn't aware I could add more than 1 guest network per frequency (assumed it was for other types such as open access only)
With second guest network no internet access either.
Removed power cable for 5 minutes with no success.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!