What's new

RT-AC5300 backhaul/fronthaul?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raphie

Got a 5300 and ac68 as mesh accespoint via cat5
However the 5300 took 5g_2 as backhaul channel and I can’t seem to get it back
Before I had 5g_1 and 5g_2 via smart connect combined as 1 5G connection, now this no longer seems possible?

AImesh is nice as I can use 1 wifi network with 1 id, but burning the 2nd 5g channel is a high price to pay?
How can I maintain AImesh, But get my channel back, as my backhaul is cat5?

Asus are stupid
Has been a problem for the last 3-4 5300 firmwares
They said they were going to look at it after many people complained but that was a year ago now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it’s all of us, I have 3x 5300 AiMesh all Ethernet backhaul
The only thing I can say is the extra channel is less useful than it might be on a single router setup as devices are spread over multiple routers anyway.
So it’s not a huge loss if you have a good spread of devices across nodes

ThnX, It's still half of the 5g bandwidth gone downstairs. as devices (20+) were connected between them, now all on 5G_1

Yea the benefits of device spread will vary with environment, sounds like you were definitely better off with 2x 5G channels.
I’m lucky that mine are spread between a 5300 and 86U most of the time with my setup.
I’m still hoping Asus will allow 2x channels with fixed Ethernet backhaul at some point

You can use it, they set only a hidden SSID for it. Many threads here how to do so.

You can use it, they set only a hidden SSID for it. Many threads here how to do so.

No good if you use Smart Connect tho

Why, you still can use it for stationary devices like TV which wont move around.

Why, you still can use it for stationary devices like TV which wont move around.

True, but I prefer to have all my devices use the same creds so that any future router/environment changes are more easily managed.
Plus most of my fixed devices are Ethernet anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!