What's new

RT-AC5300 High Ping Response Under Load

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damageinc84

Occasional Visitor
So not sure if I am overthinking it. I am setting up my new RT router today and I have had some weird issues with it dropping pings randomly. I did a few tests with a PC (Wired) and iPhone. Doing a speed test while the constant ping is running I am getting high response times mostly during the upload. Download I may see a single ping higher than 1ms, when the download starts it spikes to 100+ ms easy.

So to see if it was just my PC, I left the ping running and did the same thing from my iPhone. Once the upload starts it jumps to 100ms pings to the router and upwards of 300ms.

After seeing some weird issues all night with this thing I am curious if that's just the nature of how taxing uploading is on a router or maybe I am overthinking it. I think the thing that bothers me most was some of the wifi connectivity issues I was having and some times the router would not respond and would start dropping pings but it's uptime and logs don't show any break in service.

Am I overthinking this or could there be something I am missing with this Router?

What are you pinging? The router or the outside world?

If the router, something seems wrong (unless your uploads speeds are 1Gbps!?).

If the outside world, you need to sort QOS Settings out (I’d strongly recommend using Merlin firmware and FreshFR QOS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pinging the router itself while doing the speed tests.

The ping times spike after 60mbps up and over wireless it goes up to 400ms now. The ping is running from a wired 1gbps pc.

I guess the only reason I’m not jumping right on Merlin is I wanted to use the mesh features. I’m actually having a second RT delivered tomorrow due to some ordering goof ups. I guess I can test with the second one tomorrow.

If wireless is at all involved I can well believe this. In my old house the congested 2.4Ghz limited me to a useful 25-30mbps before packet loss was introduced! Luckily 90% of the time all my devices were on 5Ghz.

This occurs when ping and Speedtest are run from wired devices though?

If wireless is at all involved I can well believe this. In my old house the congested 2.4Ghz limited me to a useful 25-30mbps before packet loss was introduced! Luckily 90% of the time all my devices were on 5Ghz.

This occurs when ping and Speedtest are run from wired devices though?

So when I do it from the phone I’m on 5ghz. I get 100/118ish from there. I took a quick video of it doing it over the wired connection. Take a look.

https://imgur.com/gallery/dHAWVIr

And I’m having a hell of a time getting Devices like google homes to connect and respond to the app on the phone. I was putting them all on the 2.4 band with all the other smaller smart Home Devices like I did with my Nighthawk. I have this sneaking suspicion that there is something up with this router. I was even seeing dropped pings to the router earlier in the evening. During that same time a YouTube video I had streaming froze too. The logs and uptime didn’t show any issues.

Yea that doesn’t seem right at all! Can’t say I have any ideas, very odd it only does it on upload.

I’m at a loss myself. All the google homes just popped up and finally are accessible on the app after I already had joined them earlier and disappeared.

As far as the ping test goes I have no idea. It doesn’t make any sense and I have never seen anything like it. I turned off all services and I haven’t even touched qos yet. Not sure what could be causing it unless maybe it’s a bad cable to something off the wall like that. I can test it with another pc that is wireless to see what happens.

Check this out. I had only been doing the pings from a wired connection. Here is a quick video of pings from a wireless connection in the room next to the router using an N adapter.

https://imgur.com/a/xOWH56g

Wow, that’s all over the shop!
My wireless pings are consistently sub 7ms and usually sub 4ms to my 5300’s - have been in every mode of operation I’ve used them in.
Might be worth a factory reset and proper cold boot just in case something is amiss but I’m thinking something is broken given you have odd results in wired too (otherwise I’d be suggesting you look at the wireless profession settings and disable airtime fairness etc - which I guess is worth a shot still as well).

I disabled airtime fairness. Didn’t make a difference.

I reran the ping without speedtest on both pcs. The wired one is solid. The same wired one on wireless was 2ms or less usually.

The other wireless pc that is right next to the router basically is all over the place. Maybe a bad wireless card or something.

I did the Speedtest/ping test again on the main pc but disabled wired and just did it all wireless. The first test was solid and it didn’t move from 1ms. Then I went to wired and it happened again, then back to wireless and it’s happening there too. It makes me wonder if there is some setting that is detecting something funny and is causing issues.

But I think I have them all turned off so far.

Guess I will be resetting this router tomorrow and maybe starting fresh with the new one when it comes in. Was hoping to have the aimesh stuff done tomorrow night but I doubt that’s happening.

Wow, that’s all over the shop!
My wireless pings are consistently sub 7ms and usually sub 4ms to my 5300’s - have been in every mode of operation I’ve used them in.
Might be worth a factory reset and proper cold boot just in case something is amiss but I’m thinking something is broken given you have odd results in wired too (otherwise I’d be suggesting you look at the wireless profession settings and disable airtime fairness etc - which I guess is worth a shot still as well).

So I got the other Router today. Configured it the same way but left the firmware to whatever it came with. Same issues happen. Upgraded the FW and Reset it and getting the same thing. Must just be something with these units. I watched the CPU usage on the routers and they never go over 30 percent.

The Nighthawk does it too but not to 400ms. It averages about 130s.

So I got the other Router today. Configured it the same way but left the firmware to whatever it came with. Same issues happen. Upgraded the FW and Reset it and getting the same thing. Must just be something with these units. I watched the CPU usage on the routers and they never go over 30 percent.

The Nighthawk does it too but not to 400ms. It averages about 130s.

You are making me very uneasy. I just bought this router and have not yet set it up. Have you tried using the Merlin Firmware?

You are making me very uneasy. I just bought this router and have not yet set it up. Have you tried using the Merlin Firmware?

No not yet, I wanted to try Aimesh for the heck of it before I start flashing the devices. I just got it done a bit ago. I don't like how the APs share a channel between the SSIDs. So I may just take the other device and make it an AP and just call it a day.

I may try Merlin over the weekend and see how it goes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!