What's new

RT-AC5300 LAG and Cisco 2960g issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carvwa

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

Is there a quick trick to making the LACP LAG actually work for the 5300? I get different results each time I try to make it happen. If I don't find a solution in the next day or so, it will be going back. I have a Cisco 2960g (ios v c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin or 15.0.(2)SE6) and the AC5300 has fw v.3.0.0.4.380_3341-g25420f5.

I'm not ruling out the Cisco, but I have 2 other LACP configs that work NO TROUBLE. However, the moment I reboot the 5300, I get all kinds of weird crap. Spanning-tree issues (tried that turning it off from either/both sides). That seem to make it worse as did bpduguard. I noticed it didn't like spanning-tree port fast either (no off).

All it does is keep them in the mode bolded and will not pass traffic.
Gi0/41 SP bndl 32768 0x2 0x2 0x12A 0xd

interface GigabitEthernet 0/41
description ASUS-5300 etherchannel
switchport mode access
channel-group 2 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet 0/42
description ASUS-5300 etherchannel
switchport mode access
channel-group 2 mode active
!
interface Port-channel2
switchport mode access
!

Port Name Status Vlan Duplex Speed Type
Gi0/41 ASUS-5300 ethercha connected 1 a-full a-1000 10/100/1000BaseTX
Gi0/42 ASUS-5300 ethercha notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100/1000BaseTX
(g0/42 only not connected because lacp/lag failing to load)

Po1 connected trunk a-full a-1000
Po2 connected 1 a-full a-1000
Po3 connected 55 a-full a-1000

Bonding/ Link aggregation = enabled on the "switch control" tab under LAN

it's getting Gd irritating, so it's ready to go back.

Also, side note, I've when I use the 5300 in routed mode (not preferred but only way to enable lag), I am not able to pass DHCP traffic from an external server. BUT, LAG issue is more important to me.

I think the LAG issue may be a bug as I get different result for doing the same thing. Any with similar problem?

I have this working with my Cisco SG-220-26 switch with no problem. Make sure you have the cables plugged into LAN ports 1 and 2 on the router.

I have this working with my Cisco SG-220-26 switch with no problem. Make sure you have the cables plugged into LAN ports 1 and 2 on the router.
I am using port 1 & 2. I know the other devices when you run lacp it's 3 & 4, but this one is fairly clear about ports 1 & 2.
Curious though, what's the cli like on the SG's? I've only ever been on 1, and it was brief.

UPDATE: I did make it work, though I'm not completely sure I understand it. Using a feature I've never actually used in practice, I set my 2960 ports to "switchport mode dynamic" and set the lacp bond pair to a trunk. I then restricted them to vlan 1 (which drives me crazy, but less work that messing with the Asus vlans. I might revisit the asus vlans if I can keep this stable.)

So...not sure why static access port or trunk mode didn't work, but setting the port to dynamic (again a first for me), seemed to do the trick. I haven't bounced it yet to validate, so maybe I just got lucky again.

I am using port 1 & 2. I know the other devices when you run lacp it's 3 & 4, but this one is fairly clear about ports 1 & 2.
Curious though, what's the cli like on the SG's? I've only ever been on 1, and it was brief.

UPDATE: I did make it work, though I'm not completely sure I understand it. Using a feature I've never actually used in practice, I set my 2960 ports to "switchport mode dynamic" and set the lacp bond pair to a trunk. I then restricted them to vlan 1 (which drives me crazy, but less work that messing with the Asus vlans. I might revisit the asus vlans if I can keep this stable.)

So...not sure why static access port or trunk mode didn't work, but setting the port to dynamic (again a first for me), seemed to do the trick. I haven't bounced it yet to validate, so maybe I just got lucky again.
UPDATE2: As I suppected, Dynamic didn't fix the problem. It came back after reboot. But switching that appears to clear something....

Not sure if it helps but I found that booting up the router with just 1 port then plugging in the 2nd after it has booted up works. I'm running one of the latest versions of AsusWRT-Merlin with a TP-Link SG2008. I can't recall but I think that this one-of-the-latest versions that I have fixed the issue such that I can boot up without unplugging the cable. On the TP-Link both are active active and configured to be in their own LACP group.

Hmm...that not ideal, but it would at least give me a solution.
I'm running 3.0.0.4.380_3341, but I don't think this is Merlin version (yet). I see that ASUS has 3.0.0.4.380.3941 out. I'll try that (with both plugged in, and with just a single if the former doesn't work) and report back.

Thanks for the update.

Hmm...that not ideal, but it would at least give me a solution.
I'm running 3.0.0.4.380_3341, but I don't think this is Merlin version (yet). I see that ASUS has 3.0.0.4.380.3941 out. I'll try that (with both plugged in, and with just a single if the former doesn't work) and report back.

Thanks for the update.

380.61 is based off 3.0.0.4.380_3831.

Just wanna say, coming from 380.59 to 380.62 beta I didn't need to unplug anything. It restarted twice due to some settings being changed after the upgrade and I still didn't need to unplug anything.

STP was enabled on both the router and my switch.

UPDATE: I've updated to 380.63_2. I forget what version I came from, it was at least a few back. I'll guess it was 380.61...but it might have been earlier.

LACP port Admin Oper Port Port
Port Flags State Priority Key Key Number State
Gi0/41 SA bndl 32768 0x2 0x2 0x12A 0x3D
Gi0/42 SA bndl 32768 0x2 0x2 0x12B 0x3D

Sweet...thanks for any fixes that might have assisted!

So, I have not tried a reboot since it started and it might be the same item fusion mentioned above, where it doesn't work the first time after a reboot, but applying the settings then subsequent reboot would fix?

Normally I go step by step for fixes like this, but this time I didn't as I didn't think about fixing LACP until an after thought.

NOTE: First time no dice, second time (after at least 1 reboot) and roughly an hour later, I plugged in both cables. <BAM> working. I do have to note, I have STP OFF, primarily for other reasons, but I have not turned it on as I have nothing else plugged in.

At some point, I'll trying flipping the switch for STP possibly, but at this point, the Cisco 2960 can handle anything but what's plugged into the 5300. Since the Cisco is the ONLY thing plugged in...it's makes no difference if STP is functional on the 5300 or not.

So, I have not tried a reboot since it started and it might be the same item fusion mentioned above, where it doesn't work the first time after a reboot, but applying the settings then subsequent reboot would fix?

I just want to point out that isn't what happened for me. The first time was to only plug in the 2nd member after the router had fully booted up. The second post was about how it restarted 3 times in total and I didn't have to unplug then replug the member at any time. But as you've noted, you don't have stp on whereas I do.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!