What's new

RT-AC5300 only 1 5Ghz band "works"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cpbra617

New Around Here
Hey folks,

I am looking for some direction on where to look to solve this problem at my home. So I have an RT-AC5300 as my router. I also have an RT-AC68U and numerous Netgear R7000 running in AP mode. I have a Windows Server 2019 which runs my DHCP. I have a large network (for a home) with well over 250 connected devices.
From day 1 the 5Ghz-1 band on the 5300 was flakey. It would work for a few days. Eventually it wouldn't and then I needed to reboot the router to get it to work again.

I have made sure that the settings on 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 are identical (except for the control channel). So if I connect to 5Ghz-2, it works just fine. If I connect to 5Ghz-1, the router will show that the device is connected to 5Ghz-1 and at a reasonably high TX rate, but the device doesn't get an IP address. I can connect to any other AP in my home without issue. I haven't setup netmon on my DHCP server to capture if it is even getting the DHCP request when a device connects to 5Ghz-1 because well, I have not had a ton of time lately (netmon was deprecated years ago and you have to jump through hoops to get it installed on W2K19).

I am at a point now where I am thinking that this is just a hardware issue and all my troubleshooting is moot.

Am I missing anything?
Thanks

Hey folks,

I am looking for some direction on where to look to solve this problem at my home. So I have an RT-AC5300 as my router. I also have an RT-AC68U and numerous Netgear R7000 running in AP mode. I have a Windows Server 2019 which runs my DHCP. I have a large network (for a home) with well over 250 connected devices.
From day 1 the 5Ghz-1 band on the 5300 was flakey. It would work for a few days. Eventually it wouldn't and then I needed to reboot the router to get it to work again.

I have made sure that the settings on 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2 are identical (except for the control channel). So if I connect to 5Ghz-2, it works just fine. If I connect to 5Ghz-1, the router will show that the device is connected to 5Ghz-1 and at a reasonably high TX rate, but the device doesn't get an IP address. I can connect to any other AP in my home without issue. I haven't setup netmon on my DHCP server to capture if it is even getting the DHCP request when a device connects to 5Ghz-1 because well, I have not had a ton of time lately (netmon was deprecated years ago and you have to jump through hoops to get it installed on W2K19).

I am at a point now where I am thinking that this is just a hardware issue and all my troubleshooting is moot.

Am I missing anything?
Thanks

It is possible it is a hardware issue. If you disable the -2 radio and use that same channel on -1 does it work? If not, I suspect a radio problem, I think on the tri-band models the 2.4 and 5g-1 are on one chip and 5g-2 are on another chip, so the 5g on the first chip may be no good (or possibly the 2.4 as well).

I would also test the internal DHCP server just to see if it might be some issue forwarding the DHCP packets. And of course try updating the firmware and a WPS hard factory reset and manually reconfigure to rule out some sort of corruption issue.

You might consider moving over to a prosumer grade router for the gateway - even though you have DHCP running external on WinServer, each device that has internet access is going to use resources for the NAT tables...

If you don't want to DYI with something like OpnSense or similar, there's always TPLink Omada or EdgeRouter series...