What's new

RT-AC5300 OPVN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

node

Occasional Visitor
I run ASUS AC5300 with firmware 386.4 recently updated from 386.3. I have (5) OVPN configured set in the AC5300 as was before. Two of which are my own VPN servers located remotely at home 6,000 miles away connected to ASUS AC68U running firmware 386.3. I built theses servers and been using them for well over 18 years. I am able to connect fine. The other (3) are commercial VPN providers.

Before when logged on to the AC5300 with my laptop local IP is set by the VPN director in the AC5300 to connect to one of my remote OPVN server on the AC68U, I am able to connect to any device at my home using the local IP address given by the AC68U router. Now, I am not able to do this.

My servers uses RSA-SHA256 encryption, when I set this in the AC5300 I do not see the AC68U ISP IP, I see Public : Unknown. If I set this to Default in the Ac5300 I see the AC68U ISP IP on the AC5300 under OPVN client settings.

I know there is some configuration I need to set in the AC5300 with this new firmware because it worked fine before and also, if I run the laptop straight without VPN on the AC5300 and start OPENVPN application from my desktop, it will connect to either of my OPVN server and I am able to just type in the local IP of the device as given by the AC68U at my home.

Anyone with what setting have to be set on Firmware 386.4 I would appreciate.

node

Should we assume *all* five (5) OpenVPN clients are connected concurrently? Because if that's the case, it's going to make things a lot more difficult to debug. Just too many opportunities for conflicts among all those OpenVPN connections. It's not even clear if the OpenVPN clients to back home are routed (TUN) or bridged (TAP). Ideally, you should try them one at a time. If they work individually, then at least we can logically assume it's a conflict between the OpenVPN clients vs. the specific OpenVPN client itself.

IOW, let's simplify the problem here.

Just disconnected (4) and left one server connected to my AC68U. Still no joy. Noted they were all connected with 386.3 and all worked fine.
Using TUN, never used TAP.
This therefore eliminates any conflict issues.
This one is really baffling me.
Also note I can always connect to my OVPN servers or any device at home using hostname and ports or via SSH with hostname & ports still works fine. Just cannot use the Local IP given by the AC68U if connected to the VPN.

The issue is in the AC5300 but where.

I removed Diversion & Entware from the AC5300 Router.; now when the laptop is connected via my home VPN I am able to use any device local IP given by the AC68U to access. I do not know if it is Diversion or Entware or both, will reload and try again. Strange firmware 386.3 the AC5300 had Diversion and Entware and worked.