What's new

RT-AC5300 - Parental Controls and high speed internet fail

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cborjon

New Around Here
I have a RT-AC5300 with Asuswrt-Merlin and am getting close to 1 gigabit speeds with my current setup on AT&T’s fiber service. I would like to make use of Parental Controls on my AC5300; specifically I would like to use the Time Scheduling function.

I have confirmed with several tests that with NAT Acceleration (aka CTF or hardware acceleration) enabled, the Time Scheduling feature will not be “fully” functional. Of the three options under Time Scheduling (Disable, Time, or Block) only Disable and Block will work. The Time function which gives one the ability to set times for internet access (ie. the heart of Time Scheduling) does not work. To get the Time function to work, you need to disable NAT Acceleration. The problem with disabling NAT Acceleration is the internet speed drops from 950Mbps upload and download to around 350Mbps upload and download.

Crushing speeds is not a good outcome, so I can not disable NAT acceleration. However, I would really like to use the Time Scheduling Parental Controls. Would it be possible to connect a second router say an RT-AC66U to my RT-AC5300 to get around this issue? The plan would be to put the devices I want to subject to Time Controls on the RT-AC66U’s subnet. Then on the RT-AC66U disable NAT Acceleration and turn on the Time Scheduling Parental Controls.

I am assuming that since NAT Acceleration is only disabled on the RT-AC66U, only its traffic would be throttled down to 400Mbps, while the traffic on the RT-AC5300 would still be able to take advantage of the 900Mps speed. Is my assumption correct? Would a two router strategy like this work?

That strategy may work, depending on the specific implementation and expectations of the usability of the network too. :)

Do keep in mind that the second 'network' behind the scheduled router would not be able to communicate with any of the main network's clients to have Guest network and parental controls available and working.

I would not suggest buying an RT-AC66U today. Instead, look for the RT-AC66U_B1 model (uses RT-AC68U RMerlin firmware). Or possibly, the RT-AX56U or the RT-AX58U (if the prices are similar enough for you).

That strategy may work, depending on the specific implementation and expectations of the usability of the network too. :)

Do keep in mind that the second 'network' behind the scheduled router would not be able to communicate with any of the main network's clients to have Guest network and parental controls available and working.

I would not suggest buying an RT-AC66U today. Instead, look for the RT-AC66U_B1 model (uses RT-AC68U RMerlin firmware). Or possibly, the RT-AX56U or the RT-AX58U (if the prices are similar enough for you).

First Thank you! L&LD for all the write-ups and advise you provide on these forums. Your Nuclear Reset, M&M Config and amtm write-ups are what enabled me to get my current AC5300 as reliable as it is today. [And of course thank you to RMerlin, thelonleycoder, and others who have provided this awesome software to unlock the capability of our Asus routers]

One other question for you….

On the second network in addition to not being about to communicate with clients on the main network, if I add a gaming console (Sony Playstation PS4) to this network it will have a Double NAT issue. Is there anyway around a Double NAT on the second network? Can I get around the Double NAT by putting the PS4 in the DMZ of the RT-AC66U?

You're most welcome. Glad to help where I'm able. :)

I'll let others answer authoritatively for the PS4 questions, but I would assume that putting in in the DMZ may be all that is needed. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!