What's new

RT-AC5300/RT-AC3100 firmware 3.0.0.4.384.45717 (2019/05/13)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus said it is a TriBand Router :)
https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/RT-AC5300/

With AiMesh since the last 2 Firmware, the second 5.0GHz Band is Hidden and used exclusively for Backhaul, whether we have Ethernet Backhaul or not.
ASUS calls it a tri-band router... two 5.0 GHz bands and one 2.4 GHz band. Three bands, three radios, no difference.

OE

Marketing and science are two different things. :)

I barely believe what is on the box (or online), I believe what I know and have learned along the way. :)

Marketing and science are two different things. :)

I barely believe what is on the box (or online), I believe what I know and have learned along the way. :)

The industry has defined a tri-band router to be a router with a 2.4 GHz band and two 5.0 GHz bands, which the user can use as three separate 'bands' for increased bandwidth capacity and improved performance. It's petty to correct a user for so using the term for any reason... marketing, science, or otherwise... imo.

OE

Tri-band is technically accurate, as there are two separate UNI bands used by the two 5Ghz radios.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

The industry has defined a tri-band router to be a router with a 2.4 GHz band and two 5.0 GHz bands, which the user can use as three separate 'bands' for increased bandwidth capacity and improved performance. It's petty to correct a user for so using the term for any reason... marketing, science, or otherwise... imo.

OE

I wasn't correcting the user. I was stating the accurate form. :)

Tri-band is technically accurate, as there are two separate UNI bands used by the two 5Ghz radios.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Not for me, it's not. :)

When they're artificially carved out of the same, single 'normal' band. :)

there are 3 different used bands
5G is not a band but a range of frequencies or bands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-NII

bands are:
2.4G ISM: ch 1-14
U-NII-1: ch 34-48
U-NII-2A: ch 52-64
U-NII-2B: ch 68-96
U-NII-2C: ch 100-144
U-NII-3: ch 149-165
U-NII-4: ch 169+

With that thinking, the RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC86U are all Tri-Band routers then too. :rolleyes:

With that thinking, the RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC86U are all Tri-Band routers then too. :rolleyes:

No, because they can only simultaneously use two bands.

Was really hoping they'd give back the option to not dedicate the second 5ghz band as backhaul even with a ethernet backhaul with this update.

Makes me wonder if there are major issues if they dont do this for aimesh

after upgrading to 45717 firmware, my node can no longer connect with wired connection. It was working fine before, but this firmware broke it :(

after upgrading to 45717 firmware, my node can no longer connect with wired connection. It was working fine before, but this firmware broke it :(

Which router? You may need to do a reset to factory defaults on it.

Which router? You may need to do a reset to factory defaults on it.
main router is AC5300, node is AC68R, I did factory reset, still no wired connection.

The LAN port status on main router shows as Unplugged. I tried other mesh wifi system, it shows as wired connection. So either the firmware is broken, or my AC68R WAN port is broken. I hope it's not the latter.

main router is AC5300, node is AC68R, I did factory reset, still no wired connection

This isn't clear. Did you update the main router or the node? Did you reset the main router or the node? Or both? :)

This isn't clear. Did you update the main router or the node? Did you reset the main router or the node? Or both? :)

both routers are on 45717 firmware, I factory reset the main router in the web UI, and press the reset button on the node to hard reset it. I then started all over with new AIMesh set up.

both routers are on 45717 firmware, I factory reset the main router in the web UI, and press the reset button on the node to hard reset it. I then started all over with new AIMesh set up.

Fully reset both routers and then start the AiMesh setup. ;)

Fully reset both routers and then start the AiMesh setup. ;)
I tried hard reset on both, didn't work. I notice that on the node, the WAN status light is off, if I plug the cable to a LAN port, the LAN port light is on. I assume my node's WAN port is broken :(

you can mesh them on node LAN-port too, use it instead of WAN.
I tried using LAN port, set connection priority to ethernet, didn't work. I couldn't find any instruction on Google or Asus to use LAN port for ethernet backhaul for AiMesh. Can you tell me where I can find the instruction?

I personally have never gotten it to work using a Node LAN port. *Though it has been some time since I erroneously tried it. Im not saying it will not work, but that I have never got it to work. I am now curious myself if something has changed in the last few firmwares? o_O

From https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035140/
Place the node in the ideal location for the best coverage. Run Ethernet cables from the LAN port of the AiMesh router to the WAN port of AiMesh node.

Guess your already familiar with those. ;)

Maybe I am wrong but would have sworn that I read this somewhere here it will work too on node LAN port same as in AP-mode.
Or you have first to connect them via wifi and then you can use the LAN port for ethernet backhaul after they are matched.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!