What's new

[RT-AC56] New FW 3.0.0.4.374_134 - with AiCloud 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
New firmware on Asus's site. A few interesting things in this one:

1) AiCloud 2.0 (see attached screenshot)
2) DualWAN and Repeater mode are now officially enabled
3) New driver

Not sure that version is 100% ready however, as it was filling syslog with error messages here:

Code:
Sep  4 00:47:24 kernel: pch ==NULL.

Attachments

• aicloud20.jpg
    aicloud20.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,314
Hi RMerlin,

Strangely that i don't see the error messages you mentioned on the new ASUS RT-AC56U 3.0.0.4.374_134 FW on my syslog.

No error messages here either. I did a "factory reset" after upgrading the firmware, and manually re-entered my desired settings (as I always do).

No idea what PCH refers to either, but this seems like debug output.

I hope the plan is not to evolve newer models to AiCloud 2.0 and leave older models left out.

I hope the plan is not to evolve newer models to AiCloud 2.0 and leave older models left out.

I doubt it. This is all client-side, so AiCloud doesn't really need the CPU power from the AC56U. Most likely they chose to debut it on that platform either because they used it as a primary development platform, or because they just aren't ready to release the other models yet.

This firmware seems to be stable. It solved my samba large file copy freeze problem.

By the way, you mentioned it contains new driver. New driver for what? What does it mean?

This firmware seems to be stable. It solved my samba large file copy freeze problem.

By the way, you mentioned it contains new driver. New driver for what? What does it mean?

For the wireless radios.

In this case I don't know how can samba be more stable...

There are a number of changes at various levels, they didn't only upgrade the wireless driver.

Merlin are the drivers newer then what is in your 33 beta 1 build?

Possibly. Asus accidentally released an older GPL (119 instead of 134), so I have no way to be really sure.

issue with last official firmware

Hi !

Just one notice to the latest FW provided by asus. I updated it and since then the WiFi coverage lost rapidly. Did some one else notice it ? In my house where I had pretty nice coverage on whole house (2 floors) with old firmware, now I have rooms where I have no coverage at all. I have to move close to router to get the signal back. After I flash back the previous FW, coverage was back.
Do you have an idea what should be wrong ?

Marek

Possibly. Asus accidentally released an older GPL (119 instead of 134), so I have no way to be really sure.

new version

Just updated to ASUS RT-AC56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.158....not sure whats new....nothing posted on their website about it.

Just updated to ASUS RT-AC56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.158....not sure whats new....nothing posted on their website about it.

My AC56U came with 3.0.0.4.374.134 and I updated to 3.0.0.4.374.158 as soon as I installed it.
However, both of theese build seems to have a huge impact on 2.4 GHz b/g range and performance for me. After a certain range the b/g link speed dropped drastically and I only got ~11 Mbps link speeds.

I downgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.37 and that seems to fix my 2.4 b/g range/performance problems. After downgrade I got 48-54 Mbps link speed on g client at twice the range that I only had 11 Mbps with latest fw.
Haven't compared 5 GHz range or performance between the builds yet.

My AC56U came with 3.0.0.4.374.134 and I updated to 3.0.0.4.374.158 as soon as I installed it.
However, both of theese build seems to have a huge impact on 2.4 GHz b/g range and performance for me. After a certain range the b/g link speed dropped drastically and I only got ~11 Mbps link speeds.

I downgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.37 and that seems to fix my 2.4 b/g range/performance problems. After downgrade I got 48-54 Mbps link speed on g client at twice the range that I only had 11 Mbps with latest fw.
Haven't compared 5 GHz range or performance between the builds yet.

I don't use 2.4 band(I live an a large apartment complex...to crowded with 30 other networks)....and I only have 2 wifi devices (laptop with Intel AC7260 card, and my Samsung SGS3 (N150 chip).)

I haven't really noticed any real difference in the firmware...and I was told that the wireless driver is the same...so nothing major changed. Either Asus takes their time updating their website support page, or the change was so minor, they are going to post it on the website.

U try enabling/disabling the ai radar feature. Explicit beamforming (is for newer hardware-default enabled) Implicit beamforming(for older hardware-default disabled)

Also, enable "Enable IGMP Snooping" and have "Multicast Rate(Mbps)"set to auto.

If possible, upgrade the b/g clients to N or AC.

Last edited:
I don't use 2.4 band(I live an a large apartment complex...to crowded with 30 other networks)....and I only have 2 wifi devices (laptop with Intel AC7260 card, and my Samsung SGS3 (N150 chip).)

I haven't really noticed any real difference in the firmware...and I was told that the wireless driver is the same...so nothing major changed. Either Asus takes their time updating their website support page, or the change was so minor, they are going to post it on the website.

U try enabling/disabling the ai radar feature. Explicit beamforming (is for newer hardware-default enabled) Implicit beamforming(for older hardware-default disabled)

Also, enable "Enable IGMP Snooping" and have "Multicast Rate(Mbps)"set to auto.

If possible, upgrade the b/g clients to N or AC.
Yes I think I have tried every possible combination of settings for the wifi. It also seems I spoke to soon, when I got home (tested the different firmwares elsewhere) the problem was still there. I returned my AC56U for troubleshooting, will see if I'll get a new one.
Almost every time after a change on the wifi the link speed is ok for awhile but after 20 seconds up to 2 minutes the link speed drops to 11 Mbps. The behavious is very inconsistent, sometimes the speed increases again and can stay there for awhile until it drops to 11 again.
Unfortunately I can't upgrade some of the 2.4 clients without investing many $'s (2 phones, one joggler and a HTPC). In total 8 wireless clients where only 4 supports 5 GHz.

aicloud in repeater mode?

Would it be possible to implement aicloud on an RT-AC66U in repeater mode on the latest merlin build? There is currently no aicloud option in repeater mode. Thanks.

Would it be possible to implement aicloud on an RT-AC66U in repeater mode on the latest merlin build? There is currently no aicloud option in repeater mode. Thanks.

Doubtful. AiCloud expects the router to perform as a router, with a specific WAN and a specific LAN. This is not the case while in repeater mode, where there is only a LAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!