What's new

RT-AC66R, External storage, and Vista

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hermes14

Occasional Visitor
Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum! Consider me a networking newbie.

Router: RT-AC66R
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.374.40_0 (Merlin Build)
OS: Vista (directly connected to the router via ethernet)

Mission: Connect an external hard drive to the router with restricted (=password) access from Vista and a client in the home network. Cloud/Internet access is not important at the moment.

Assumptions (kindly correct/augment):
1. This is configured in the router on the following page:
USB Application > Servers Center > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk
2. RT-AC66R supports restricted access to the external drive
3. The drive was connected to the PC originally. But streaming between the drive and an external device is too slow (home network), despite the router speed; too much buffering on anything larger than 480p It seems the PC is the bottleneck (despite being a top-of-the-line vista machine at time of purchase). So the hope is that I'll get better speeds streaming from the drive directly via the router instead of through the PC

Problems:
\\192.168.1.1 can be opened by Windows Explorer. Under \\192.168.1.1 I can see the contents of the external hard drive. However:

1. I cannot open them. When I try, I get a login popup "Connect to 192.168.1.1" asking for username and password. I try using my routername : password combination but it does not work. What's happening?

2. I cannot map a network drive. When I try, e.g.,
Drive X:
Folder: \\192.168.1.1
I get "Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.1". Diagnosis says that nothing is found to be wrong. Trying again with

Folder: \\192.168.1.1\myfolder
Diagnosis says "Windows confirmed that the server \\192.168.1.1 exists but cannot find "myfolder"".

3. In the router, on the Network Place(Samba) Share page, the router and its alias are listed as a user, and I can "Add a new account". But I don't know what to do with the accounts.

4. In vista and explorer, under Network I see a folder RT-AC66R. Clicking on it gives a message that begins, "It is not possible to disconnect at this time". There is another RT-AC66R folder with a media icon next to it: Clicking on it opens Windows Media Player. There is a listing for the RT-AC66R on the left and I can open a few files -- otoh the titles are replaced by numbers and codes such as

2266.mp4?WMContentFeatures="DLNA.ORG_PN=AVC_MP4_MP_HD_720p_AAC;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA

=========
The above is verbose but I hope it gives a good picture of where I'm at and where I need to go. Once the above is solved, the next challenge is to access the same storage via the router wirelessly.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

OS: Vista (directly connected to the router via ethernet)
Problems:
\\192.168.1.1 can be opened by Windows Explorer. Under \\192.168.1.1 I can see the contents of the external hard drive. However:

1. I cannot open them. When I try, I get a login popup "Connect to 192.168.1.1" asking for username and password. I try using my routername : password combination but it does not work. What's happening?

2. I cannot map a network drive. When I try, e.g.,
Drive X:
Folder: \\192.168.1.1
I get "Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.1". Diagnosis says that nothing is found to be wrong. Trying again with

Folder: \\192.168.1.1\myfolder
Diagnosis says "Windows confirmed that the server \\192.168.1.1 exists but cannot find "myfolder"".
As you run Vista (have no good memories about it either): Did you check out the NTVLM2 settings as outlined here? :confused:

As you run Vista (have no good memories about it either): Did you check out the NTVLM2 settings as outlined here? :confused:

Was not aware of this issue. Alas, it all depends on secpol.msc, which does not exist on my Vista Home Premium. Researching workarounds leads to mucking around the registry. I followed the advice in the link you sent, but it did not change anything.

===========
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
Parameter is: EnablePlainTextPassword

Set to 1.
===========

It seems I'm at a real dead end... Are there any registry geeks here who know what to do?

Can Vista Home Premium be updated to a version of Seven that has the requisite ability to change the NTVLM2 settings? OTOH, updating the OS just to fix this seems like trying to kill a fly with a tank.

Thanks again

Was not aware of this issue. Alas, it all depends on secpol.msc, which does not exist on my Vista Home Premium. Researching workarounds leads to mucking around the registry. I followed the advice in the link you sent, but it did not change anything.
Did you reboot the Vista PC after the change? It's not working instant... :rolleyes:

Did you reboot the Vista PC after the change? It's not working instant... :rolleyes:

Restarted, and verified that the registry change is still there. Nothing in the original post seems to have changed...

I can't be the only person with an Asus router and Vista, surely there must be a solution..

Connect the drive back to a windows PC, and right click and assume ownership...

This is a perms issue...

I can't be the only person with an Asus router and Vista, surely there must be a solution..

I was somewhere east of the great divide the last time I glimpsed a Vista to my right.

No Asus routers around though.

:)

Connect the drive back to a windows PC, and right click and assume ownership...

This is a perms issue...

Connecting the drive to the PC, opening explorer, I have full permissions and control as far as I can tell...

Is there no hope? :)

I had some issues to with windows 7. My configuration is slightly different (RT-AC68U with Merlin 380.57) but maybe worth a try.

I managed to map my folders by using this syntax: "\\<device name>\<foldername> (at <hdd name>)"
and connect using admin user of the Asus.
<device name> is what you entered in Device Name om tab "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk"
<folder name> is the folder you want to map in the root of your HDD.
<hdd name> is the name of your HDD as seen on a Windows Machines when connected with USB

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!