What's new

RT-AC66U - 3G/4G backup mode issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hello,

I see in ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5517

Others-> 8. Dual wan fail over now support fail back

Does anyone know how that might relate to the opensource code and when it might be in Merlins build?

Thanks,
Al

I have AC68 since one week now (I am sure AC66U have the same behavior). I bought this device special for this feature. I download the latest 5656 firmware and tried the ASUS claimed failover/failback.

What I found out is that:
1) ASUS implementation is base only on "WAN(0) Connection: Ethernet link down" and switch perfect from WAN0 to WAN1 and back to WAN0 every time when you physically disconnect the cable
2) The watch dog function doesn't work. After undetermined time (more then 2 minutes and not always) the router detect "WAN(0) Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." and switch to the backup line. I simulated the situation disconnecting the TV cable from the cable modem without powering off the modem or disconnecting the ethernet cable.

In real life in how many situation when the internet connection is down from your provider the ethernet link between your router and DSL/cable modem is physically down. Maybe only if you play with an ax in the house and by mistake you cut this specific wire !

I recommend waiting a bit tho. The latest GPL code includes a few changes related to 3G/4G modems. Those fixes are included in the new AC68U firmware that Asus released today. They might not resolve recovery from a primary WAN failure (I don't know), but it should take care of other issues. Some of the changes also involved support for Android phones in tether mode.

Did some tests today.
Connected a 3G USB modem and configured it as a DUAL WAN.
After disconnecting the WAN cable, router was automatically connected to 3G within 1 minute or so.

After reconnecting WAN cable, router was automatically reconnected to wired internet.

Seems this issue is solved.

Make sure to hit "Allow failback" under Dual WAN tab.

I have AC68 since one week now (I am sure AC66U have the same behavior). I bought this device special for this feature. I download the latest 5656 firmware and tried the ASUS claimed failover/failback.

What I found out is that:
1) ASUS implementation is base only on "WAN(0) Connection: Ethernet link down" and switch perfect from WAN0 to WAN1 and back to WAN0 every time when you physically disconnect the cable
2) The watch dog function doesn't work. After undetermined time (more then 2 minutes and not always) the router detect "WAN(0) Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." and switch to the backup line. I simulated the situation disconnecting the TV cable from the cable modem without powering off the modem or disconnecting the ethernet cable.

In real life in how many situation when the internet connection is down from your provider the ethernet link between your router and DSL/cable modem is physically down. Maybe only if you play with an ax in the house and by mistake you cut this specific wire !
I agree with you on #1. The physical link will rarely go down. What may often happen is that you lose Internet service. If Asus still bounces over to 3G when the physical connection is down, I'm really happy I found this out, because I will definitely skip this vendor.

Anybody can connect on this?

thanks

I recommend waiting a bit tho. The latest GPL code includes a few changes related to 3G/4G modems. Those fixes are included in the new AC68U firmware that Asus released today. They might not resolve recovery from a primary WAN failure (I don't know), but it should take care of other issues. Some of the changes also involved support for Android phones in tether mode.
Hi again Merlin,

I decided to wait a bit on this because I was not sure whether or not I would be able to implement what I want.

Do you think that 3G|4G failover is working better now? I've read mixed opinions in the internet about failback not working properly, or failover only happening when the physical WAN port goes down...

I would be very grateful if you could comment on this should you have had the chance to test it and have an opinion formed so far.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Hi again Merlin,

I decided to wait a bit on this because I was not sure whether or not I would be able to implement what I want.

Do you think that 3G|4G failover is working better now? I've read mixed opinions in the internet about failback not working properly, or failover only happening when the physical WAN port goes down...

I would be very grateful if you could comment on this should you have had the chance to test it and have an opinion formed so far.

Thanks a lot in advance,

No idea. User feedback is conflicting depending on what devices people are using, and I don't have any device to try it myself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!