What's new

RT-AC66U - Anyone tested with the 1 available (Netgear) 802.11AC USB adapter yet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A USB 2.0 (480 Mbits) network interface for a wifi that can handle up to 1.3 Gbits when fully using the standard. Something tells me this network interface isn't triple stream, so it won't give you the best that you could get out of 802.11ac.

Granted, once you decrypt the signal, you don't need a 1.3 Gbits bus to feed it back to the computer, but still...

A USB 2.0 (480 Mbits) network interface for a wifi that can handle up to 1.3 Gbits when fully using the standard. Something tells me this network interface isn't triple stream, so it won't give you the best that you could get out of 802.11ac.

Granted, once you decrypt the signal, you don't need a 1.3 Gbits bus to feed it back to the computer, but still...

Argh I lost a LENGTHY DETAILED REPLY (despite being logged in ironically).
Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.
Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

(I sometimes use the old ctrl-c to be safe but have been swamped and was in a hurry).

Anyway, thanks. I guess an easy way to find out is to test it out and use the old lan speedtest method to measure throughput and compare it to 802.11n

Benchmarking it would be quite interesting. It would show whether USB 2.0 is enough to fully handle a dual stream 802.11ac connection or not (assuming that Netgear key is actually dualstream - based on the description it seems to be).

There is currently only one 802.11AC adapter on the market to my knowledge
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR.../6263808.p?id=1218725178387&skuId=6263808&st= 6263808 &cp=1&lp=1

Has anyone tested this adapter with the 802.11AC RT-AC66U router?
Just curious to see the real world benefits (performance in throughput) of Draft 802.11AC wifi...

I would wait for Asus own AC adapter which will be available in the near future - perhaps Jeremy from Asus knows the date of it ?

I would wait for Asus own AC adapter which will be available in the near future - perhaps Jeremy from Asus knows the date of it ?

Latest word Asus had was it would be released sometime in October.

I just got one last week and i have been achieving 585-866.5 mbps on average though generally seems like it likes to sit at 702-866.5mbps though its fluctuates a little.
Have had a extremely solid connection so far without anything bad to say about it

I just got one last week and i have been achieving 585-866.5 mbps on average though generally seems like it likes to sit at 702-866.5mbps though its fluctuates a little.
Have had a extremely solid connection so far without anything bad to say about it

Is it a PCI-Express or a USB device? If it's USB, I assume the actual throughput to be lower than that (since USB 2.0 can only achieve up to 480 Mbits).

Note that the reported link rate doesn't necessarily mean the actual throughput.

I would imagine SyberHexen is referring to the USB device and the reported rate as you seem to have picked up on.

I debated on either this adapter or the EA-N66. I chose the N66. I just don't seem the point of a USB 2.0 AC adapter. Now, include one with the 3.0 interface and I'll snatch one up.

Just realized we are also out of October, any word on Asus's AC device?

Yea, definitely the biggest con is the 2.0 usb
Is there any tools you guys can suggest to test actual Throughput of this adapter? Would not mind posting up some detailed stats for ya'll.
Surprised we're still waiting for the PCI-E Adapter as I was hoping to return this adapter before the return policy is up.

Yea, definitely the biggest con is the 2.0 usb
Is there any tools you guys can suggest to test actual Throughput of this adapter? Would not mind posting up some detailed stats for ya'll.
Surprised we're still waiting for the PCI-E Adapter as I was hoping to return this adapter before the return policy is up.

Would love to see detailed results!
Re. tools: Yes, try LAN Speed Test by Totusoft.
That is what I used to run my RT-N66U throughput tests.

I just received my RT-AC66U (found a nice deal) today. I am going to compare 2.4 GHz throughput to that of the RT-N66U before I sell the 66U...

"Date" "Time" "Computer" "Packet Size" "# Packets" "Write Speed" "Units" "Read Speed" "Units" "Status"
"2012-11-09" "11:25:15" "AEON" "40,000,000" "20" "947.9823040" "Mbps" "485.8745600" "Mbps" (Average)
"2012-11-09" "11:25:15" "AEON" "40,000,000" "20" "3,630.50944" "Mbps" "746.4671120" "Mbps" (Maximum)
"2012-11-09" "11:25:15" "AEON" "40,000,000" "20" "98.6137520" "Mbps" "313.7580640" "Mbps" (Minimum)

Not really sure what good parameters are for testing a WIFI connection but i toyed around with it a bit and the results were pretty similar

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!