What's new

RT-AC66U as Ethernet USB Switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jborchel

New Around Here
I have a Shield TV player that by using the Kodi app can access and play a video stored on a network disk. So I’m trying to take my old 66U and integrate it into my existing Google WiFi bridge network. I have other devices attached via Ethernet hardwire and they all work fine. This list includes the Shield. So I connected my 66U via a cable to one of my switches and then attached my USB DVD player to it. What do I need to do to the settings on the Asus to get this to work as on my first try the Shield/Kodi could not see the Asus/USB/DVD?

The router doesn't support USB attached DVD players, only storage devices like flash drives or HDD/SSD.

Thank you for the reply. I was using the DVD R/W device to test the connection before I spent money on a USB HDD. Assuming one that I buy will work do I have to do anything to my settings on the router? It was last used as a wireless host router.

Sorry, I don't know how Shield/Kodi works. Generally speaking routers, particularly old ones like the RT-AC66U, make very poor file servers because of their slow CPUs and lack of memory.

Sorry, I don't know how Shield/Kodi works. Generally speaking routers, particularly old ones like the RT-AC66U, make very poor file servers because of their slow CPUs and lack of memory.
Uh-Oh. I just ordered a 1TB HDD to attach to the 66U. I plan to rip concert DVDs and HD blue ray's to the HDD so I hope that just playing these videos won't be too fast for the router. In that situation will it be simple to de-activate wireless and just use the router as a HDD interface?

In that situation will it be simple to de-activate wireless and just use the router as a HDD interface?
I thought from your first post that you weren't using the wireless on the RT-AC66U anyway. So you can turn off the WiFi but it won't make any difference to the HDD speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!