What's new

RT-AC66U-B1: could adding USB hard drive screw up internet access?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I added a USB hard drive to the router USB3 port yesterday and setup AIDisk to access it via the internet or my LAN.

I get this message when trying to access my router from my wired connection: "Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh. Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC66U_B1. To access the settings of RT-AC66U_B1, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number." I don't know what this means. I can't reach my modem config page from the wired connection

I can access the router and modem from my wireless connections but I don't know what to do once I get into the router.

Help! :)
===============
Some updated info. It appears I can access ipv6 connections with my wired computer but not ipv4. When I check ethernet status of my adapter, ipv4 says"no internet" and ipv6 says "internet". When I try ipconfig /release or /renew, I get the following error message: "An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet 3 : The system cannot find the file specified." The IP address from ipconfig shows: Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.205.127(Preferred) but the DNS server is 192.168.50.1.

Last edited:
I added a USB hard drive to the router USB3 port yesterday and setup AIDisk to access it via the internet or my LAN.
I decided to try assigning a static IP address to my desktop. That screwed up everything so I deleted that. Finally I just removed the USB portable hard drive from the router USB3 port. I also updated the firmware. Now everything is working fine.

What's the size of the disk you connected?
Have you perhaps tried a completely different disk (different size, make, etc.)?
I'm asking because when I had the Asus RT-AC86U, I had great success with two enclosures like such - https://en.sharkoon.com/product//16310. Provided however that I didn't use HDDs larger than 2 TB; if I did, the router would get 100% CPU spikes and I wouldn't be able to log on.
But later, when I switched to the TP-Link C4000, I couldn't use these enclosures at all, no matter the disk size - one of the four cores would go up to 100% CPU usage and stay like that forever.
And here's the kicker - I can use practically any WD drive (tested up to 10 TB capacity!) without any problem whatsoever on the C4000, just not the Sharkoon enclosures.
Hence my questions ...

What's the size of the disk you connected?
Have you perhaps tried a completely different disk (different size, make, etc.)?
It was a 750GB WD Elements USB3 portable hard disk. I don't have another one to try and it's not worth the hassle to fool with it any longer. It's easy enough just to plug it into a USB3 port of whichever computer I want to use it with. Thanks for the info.

Your decision of course, but I would still try out a different disk.
From my experience, older small-capacity HDDs like the one you mentioned tend to have issues, and not only with routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!